driving in europe

hi,cant seem to find out anywhere do i have to alter the lights on my 04 disco td5 to drive in france keep reading about putting black tape on the triangles but cant seem to see any on mine?

please help i'm off on friday for the first time

thx m.

Reply to
t.jonson

Yes, you do have to alter the lights to prevent your dipped beam from dazzling oncoming traffic. This can be done by masking the dip area of the lights with black tape but that reduces the amount of light you get. A much better (but slightly more costly) solution is to buy a set of beam deflectors that stick on the front of your lights and actually (as the name implies) deflect the dip beam light across to the other side ... maintaining the overall amount of available light and illuminating the side of the road. The deflectors have pretty diagrams on the back of the packet to show you where to put them and some are re-usable.

For details of compulsary requirements in the various EU countries take a look at

and download the free information sheet.

Happy travelling :-)

PS: Don't forget they drive on the wrong side of the road over there!

Reply to
SteveG

so t.jonson was, like...

Yes you do. You can do it with a lot of fiddling about with black tape over part of the light glass (there are markings there to help you - ask if you need to know which ones). Or you can go to Halford's or somewhere and get some "beam benders" which cut out the high/left part of dipped beam for about 5.99 UKP. You can get the same at most ferryports, but you'll get stung on the price. Clean glass, stick on where told by instructions, peel off when back in UK.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

In news:Hb7Ke.85505$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, SteveG

Reply to
GbH

Jeez, you're no fun :-))

Reply to
SteveG
"

thanks guys it's off to halfords then,looked at the site and printed gear i needed this is first time abroad in the disco i got this urge to drive it up the alps,blame the adverts i'm easily led...~(anyone know where there is a desert round here aswell?)

m.

Reply to
t.jonson

Check the regulations - in some countries (France for instance) it's law to carry spare bulbs and a warning triangle etc. Hi-Vis jackets are next on the list of things soon to be required in the EU.

Reply to
Danny

so Danny was, like...

Small point to add to this. Where they must be carried (Spain at the moment, I think), they must be inside the vehicle and accessible, not in the boot or loadspace.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:25:16 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

a lot of saloons have them inside the boot lid, if they're supplied with 'em, e.g. some mercs.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's getting mad these days - there are so many hi-vis jackets about now that the person NOT wearing one is the one who stands out....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Indeed - between the 3 places I do work for I have been issued with 5 hi-vis jackets so far. I guess I might have to put a couple of them on ebay. :-)

Reply to
EMB

One of the steel companies I'm working with has different colours for employees and visitors (yellow and orange). When I was told this and given one of their nice orange vests I said I already had one but they insisted theirs is a "special" hue of orange ... I've been wearing my own one for a couple of weeks and no-one's noticed yet :-)

Reply to
SteveG

a couple of points on the subject that i dont think have been covered

  1. if you were glasses you must carry a spare pair
  2. not that you would, but in france if you are caught exceeding the speed limmit by 25 miles(or it might be 25kil) per hour you loose your licence on the spot and if you dont have another driver with you, start walking !!!!

les m

Reply to
les milner

so Austin Shackles was, like...

As far as I understand, that would not be legal in Spain (or wherever). Makes sense, really. The high-vis jacket is supposed to make you more visible when you are walking round the car, fixing a puncture or whatever. If you have to get out and walk round the car to get the jacket, it kind of negates the benefit.

Having said that, mine travel in the rear door pocket of the Disco.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

In France - less than 25kph over the limit? You'd be lynched......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Don't mention France to me, with the exception of Normandy the folk are rude ignorant & downright objectionable. I can actually speak passable french too, i can't imagine what it must be like if you only speak English with the ignorant pigs.

Odd though that the folk in Normandy are superb & friendly.

Very odd indeed!

Reply to
Nige

so Nige was, like...

Utter bollocks. I have travelled in France for the last 30 years or so, and I have always found the French to be helpful and friendly. Always, not usually or sometimes. (The only exception to this was Paris, but I reckon most capital cities suffer from this.) My French is passable too, and I have never had a problem. I can only assume that they must suss you out as an "ignorant pig" from the start and treat you accordingly.

Perhaps your breakdown in the Toerag put you in a bad mood for the whole holiday?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

My experience of riding motorcycles in France, and to a lesser extent driving my 110 Defender echoes these comments exactly.

Very likely

Reply to
DNS

Japan is like nothing i have ever witnessd, ace folk!

Reply to
Nige