replacing 86inch Series 1 dynamo

Looks like my 1955 series 1 86" (petrol) dynamo has packed in. Ignition light stays on and the dynamo is clicking. What is the best option to repair or replace this? I see some new ones on e-bay, a Lucas C40, is this suitable for a series1 with a positive earth?

Any advice would be helpful.

Cheers

Reply to
Tony Boyle

Have you checked the carbon brushes? Or is it more of a bearing type clicking?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

With the engine running or stationary? Ignition switched on or off?

What is the best option to repair

The only stipulation with a replacement dynamo is: Can you fit it, and is it 12v? So long as you can actually bolt it on with the fan belt aligned, the polarity etc can be changed at will. There are reasons for asking the earlier questions.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

The ignition light is on all the time, engine running idle or fast rev. At one point it stayed on after I had turned the ignition off and removed the key although it isn't doing that now. If it is the dynamo it sounds more like the carbon brushes rather than bearings are these still available?

Cheers

Reply to
Tony Boyle

I just wondered what was 'clicking'. If the lamp was still lit with the ignition turned off that would have been the cut out part of the charging regulator points staying shut. Can you check that the earth connection on the regulator box is good? If you momentarily connect a small wire from the battery live to the small dynamo F terminal whilst getting someone to watch the ammeter with the engine running on a fast tickover, the dynamo should show a charge on the ammeter. If it does then the regulator box is faulty, if it doesn't then the dynamo is at fault.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Have you thought about fitting an alternator? It really isn't that difficult and apart from the loss of originality has a lot of advantages.

Paul

Reply to
PM