Earth strap

Aha, finally located the earth strap. Quite obvious if you know where and what you're looking for (ie not a flat braided belt-like strap that goes from the engine to chassis, fool) This group *is* handy......

So, the earth strap seems to be split just after it attaches to the chassis on its way to the gearbox. Is this something I should get from Paddocks, or will hardware stores have this kind of thick cable? Or should I even be looking to get it repaired?

any top tips?

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

A half decent auto electrician can knock one up in 30 seconds.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

grrr, don`t talk to me about earth straps. I need to find and sort mine out on my 300tdi. Getting very strange intermittant readings on my gauges - mainly temp gauge. Very un-nerving when you`re driving along to watch the temp needle go from normal to into the red in 2 seconds flat. Emergency panic "its gonna blow up" stop and turn off, but if you turn the engine back on within a couple of seconds it then shows normal again! Sometimes it even shows cold! yes i have changed the thermostat, sender and flushed the rad and topped up with new coolant. I even waited till it did the "really hot thing" and jammed a temp probe into the thermostat housing, coolant temp of 81Deg C which is normal i believe. So i`m going to redo the gearbox earth strap, add an extra one to the engine/chassis and see what happens, If it still does it then its time to rip the dash out and play with more wires. Damn electrics, I bought a diesel cos i hate electrics - but it seems i can`t get away from them!

Nick C D90 300tdi

Reply to
Nick C

I had that with my Renault Scenic - I bonded the bastard at the alternator too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Will look into it, thanks