Sluggish Starting

My 77 FI Bug seems to have a hard time turning over, especially if it sits for a week or two. The starter is a few months old. The battery was charged fully. Any thoughts, is it a start issue, a voltage issue?

tia,

Reply to
Mel P.

My 77 FI Bug seems to have a hard time turning over, especially if it sits for a week or two. The starter is a few months old. The battery was charged fully. Any thoughts, is it a start issue, a voltage issue?

tia,

Reply to
Mel P.

Check all terminations to starter and battery. The earth strap from batt neg to chassis, tight?, clean? ie no rust between connector and chassis. Check all connections between starter motor and battery ( ie the heavy 12 volt lead), check both ends for lousy connections, tight?, clean?. Also there should be a earth strap from the front of the gearbox to the chassis. This is the "earth return" starter relies upon. Breaks a lot of times because of movement/corrosion. I got rid of it and ran a "earth" lead from mounting bolt of starter to neg terminal of battery ( the strap anyway). Probably just being anal but placebo effect is a great thing. A relay for solenoid winding of starter is a good idea long term, probably wouldn,t do much here. If its a reconditioned starter maybe it was more of a clean and new paint reconditioning. Bloke on a Hyundai newsgroup remarked there is a group in USA that sends boxes of starters to China to get "reconditioned in that way". Cheers John

Reply to
John