eeeeeeeeeeeek!

Angus McCoatup

Well whatever it is can you really call it a Land Rover just because it looks like one on the outside.

After all I could take a landie chassis and engine and stick a lamborghini body on it but that would not make it a lamborghini (thank goodness)

Reply to
Larry

oh my that sounds like an impressive machines, most notably the limited slip diffs and a pokey engine, could be very nice indeed.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Why, oh why, oh why??.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

On or around Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:16:10 +0100, MVP enlightened us thusly:

they've also got the best parts of the Citroen, viz. the brakes, steering and suspension. All in all, an impressive tool.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:46:18 +0100, "Dom J" enlightened us thusly:

cos they could, I suspect. But seriously, the citroen hydraulic system, when working, is feckin' amazing - and provided you set it up to give enough travel, it'd make an ace off-road thing. Had a BX some while ago that was very competent within its scope (front drive only, natch) - the suspension works well at keeping wheels on the deck.

I've often thought that marrying LR with the citroen suspension and brakes would be cool - and in some ways, that's what the later RRs with air suspension do, although I suspect the citroen hydropneumatic is more reliable, 'specially the old ones with no electronics.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I had visions of this sort of thing in the 1960's when I was driving a S2a and my brother was driving an ID, but did not envisage anything this elaborate - just using Citroen suspension on the LR axles with the idea of gaining adjustable ground clearance and better ride. My primary transport was a 1962 ID from 1971, changed to a 1974 DS in 1979 until 1993 when I got a 110 County, still have the DS, in VG condition but stored as parts are hard to find and where I now live it I worry about damaging it. The suspension, with huge travel and adjustable ground clearance is very good off road, and the ride is excellent even on ploughed paddocks. The DS is very reliable, including the hydraulics. JD

Reply to
JD

Na when cornering and I lean at a remarkable angle I can comfort myself at least that I am not in a 2 CV cos to watch one of them go around a roundabout is the stuff of nightmares.

Reply to
Larry

"Austin Shackles" wrote >

But what is going on with that front bumper and below it? Looks like any off-road ability is rather compromised with virtually no ground clearance at the front.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

On or around Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:54:31 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

hilarious fun to drive in, though. A mate of mine had one, and we used to do silly stuff, like I'd open the door and lean out, side-car style, on left-handers. It's amazing how fast they can be pushed around corners, too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It has Citroen suspension units reversed so the suspension arm bearings (none of this rubber bush business - tapered roller bearings) are forward of the axle rather than behind as in the Citroen. You can see the suspension sphere in front of the radiator panel. You have to remember that the pictures show the vehicle at road running height (or perhaps even parked, deflated height)- for offroad the suspension can be raised by about six inches from this. However, it does look as if the approach (and departure) angle is not as good as the standard chassis, albeit not as bad as it looks.. JD

Reply to
JD

There was a 4x4 BX

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

So Austin Shackles was, like

That's why they have those chunky little metal door-handles - bit like the Kevlar knee-pads on bike racing leathers, and for the same purpose.

Had a 2CV6 and later a Dyane, and only moved to conventional cars when the kids came along - when you've got the most precious cargo in the world (or so it seemed at the time :-0), wrapping it in tinfoil to take it down the motorway seems less of a good idea. Loved both cars, for their quirky style and complete simplicity. Pity Land Rover never fitted an air-cooled motor to the S2 - now that would be a back-to-basics machine.

I've actually been looking at 2CVs on eBay recently. Don't tell the Mrs. :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sun, 17 Apr 2005 09:56:16 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

now, you'd happily strap 'em to the roof rack?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 17 Apr 2005 09:47:56 +0100, Colonel Tupperware enlightened us thusly:

there was indeed. apparently, though, the 1.9GTi engine was prone to lunch the rear transmission, or so I was told. Apparently also such things as clutch change involved removing the engine.

I gather there was a 1600 4x4 in France, which was more reliable, being less stressed.

I'd still quite like a 4x4 BX - the ordinary 2-WD one was a very competent car.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

So Austin Shackles was, like

If I had enough big mates to get 'em up there! :-)

Sorry kids ;-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman