EGR & MPG

Well The jury is still out.

Just filled up with 87.41l (19.22 gallons) after doing 576 miles. My gut feeling was that the MPG would not be good as the old DII would be running on air at 600 miles not 570 odd. However those figures work out at

30.0MPG, this is my normal sort of running a couple of decent long trips and the local running.

IIRC when I disconnected the EGR system I've burnt 182.28l of diesel and driven 1173 miles giving 29.3MPG. No dramatic increase in MPG but a little better than it was. I wonder that as the engine will now pull from much lower revs (only just over 1000) without complaint that I'm now using that rev range which is well before the turbo kicks in so more fuel is required or doesn't it work like that?

Think I'll reconnect the EGR valve but leave the throttle one off and see how that performs for another couple of tank fulls.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How can dumping a whole load of very hot, dirty, oily, abrasive excuse for air back into the engine up-stream of the intercooler be a good idea?

When I removed mine on the '98 TDi and blanked everything off with the official landrover parts I spent hours scraping out mounds of hard and soft carbon deposits from the plenum chamber and who knows how many times I flushed the intercooler with petrol before it came clean.

"porting and gas flowing" they were the tuning phrases in my yooth. Smoothing out the corners and crinkles of inlet and exhaust manifolds to allow air to flow freely.

Prolonged use of EGR gradually destroys all air flow design. As it makes no difference to tested emissions on a diesel there is no need for it and in my mind only a fool could warrant re-connecting such a catastrophy of combustion engine design unless it was a legal requirement facing punishment by death.

Let your engine breathe! Don't let the requirements of other countries kill your engine.

Look what USA legislation did to the MG ! (turned it into a fairground bumper car)

IMHO as always :¬)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Think mine is downstream but it is still going to warm the intake air! I think that means the IAT sensor will turn the fuelling down to compensate for the perceived less dense intake! Mind you mine is an auto with EDC, don't know is the non EDC models compensate the incoming charge temperature quite the same if at all.

Looks like a job 4 tomorrow, ditch the EGR!

Reply to
GbH

Well it's not, unless you're 'green'.

The idea is to lower combustion temperatures in the cylinder with a resultant reduction in the levels of nitrogen oxides in the exhaust.

Reply to
Dougal

I agree it's not good, the engine runs far better without the EGR but I want to try it with just the EGR not the throttle part as well. With both it was really sluggish and you couldn't really feel the turbo coming in. On my old DII with EGR but no throttle, you could feel the turbo and it would pull from low revs as well. Not as low as this one does with no EGR/throttle but lower than this one with both.

My Old DII (with EGR but not the throttle part) would have returned about

31mpg on the last tank that I have just got 30 from. OK it's not a great difference and probably well within the error bars of either measurement.

It just seems a logical to test the other alternative.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:54:01 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

I'm not convinced it does anything useful. If EGR alone could achieve these effects, we wouldn't have all the other measures that came in with euro 2,

3, 4 and soon 5.

The main negative, as has been said, is the build-up of crud in the inlet. Most designs, though, I don't think run through the intercooler. Mind, oily crud gets there, too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well someone must think it is a good idea as LR are still using EGR on the TDV6 and TDV8 engines (the valves are prone to failure too!!)

Reply to
Andy