Engel or waeco freezer?

I'm thinking of buying a fridge freezer to fit into my Defender 110. The two types I am considering are the Waeco and Engel 30ish litre models.

Does anyone have any opinions, which is best? The Engel seems to be better built but is a good bit bigger and only just fits behind the drivers seat in place of the rear seat. In the rear it looks enormous! I suppose there is the 18litre model?

Has anyone used these and where have you fitted yours?

Thanks for any help,

Tony Boyle.

Reply to
Tony Boyle

One thing to keep in mind is that AFAIK Engel only make compressor 'fridges, while Waeco make compressor, absorption and thermoelectric ones. Make sure you're comparing like with like.

Also, both brands come in a range of sizes, so if you're only issue with Engel is that it's too big you can always look for a smaller one!

As to differences, Engel are meant to have quieter compressors than Waeco. However, Waeco compressors are made by Danfoss and I've had many years of troublefree service from the same series of Danfoss compressors in "boat" applications.

I know that Martyn has an Engel and swears by it.

I'm not helping much, am I?

Reply to
QrizB

And as such, I cannot really give an unbiased camparison, however...

I reckon my Engel MT45 is the best fridge / freezer (only one at a time, sort of either/or) I've ever owned. They do make smaller versions and I was seriously tempted to get one of them as my booze/ice box, as my missus insists upon filling the current one with foody type stuff ;-)

The Engel swing motor is very efficient and extremely quiet. Mine will freeze down to whatever the standard is for a 3 star freezer and will draw around 3A when working flat-out - which is somewhat remarkable really.

I'll admit I was somewhat sceptical of the various claims made for Waeko, Engel and Minus 40 - and in all honesty I'm sure that there really isn't a great deal of difference between them all.

Having now used the Engel for a couple of years in the back of my 101, for a couple of pics, see:

wouldn't be without it. One day I may even get to fill it withbooze! :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Oh, forgot a bit... The Engel is very, very hardwearing and robust. As a consequence it may be a little heavier than the Waeco or Minus

  1. This could possibly be something to bear in mind as mine lives in the 101, and I'm not too sure I'd want to be lugging it about too much. That said, I'd repeat the quality statement, it _is_ robust.

There are no Marx on my Engel :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Hi Tony,

I have an Engel, and mine is a 20ish litre model. Mine is not permanently installed - we just put it in the back of the Discovery when needed.

It really does work very well - we go to some very hot places here in Zim. With the stat on 3 (goes from 1-5) it froze cokes when the ambient temperature was > 40C (while we were in Mana Pools National Park).

We have a second deep cycle battery to drive it - recommend deep cycle as you can flatten them without damaging them. We have a split charge system to handle the second battery.

Make sure you have a good power supply to it - they do draw a hefty current (> 5A). I had Hella/DIN sockets put in my Disco, and they didn't use a heavy enough cable, and didn't really earth it well, and I ended up overheating my sockets, leading to a partial melting of them.

See

or www.vehicle-wiring-products for good suppliers of sockets etc.

No experience of the Waeco fridges. Only comment I would make is that the compressor type are the the best. Gas/electric use heat to compress the gas, and use a lot of corrent and will only work when level.

Regards Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter

Martyn (Mother) Bailey - is anyone safe at Land Rover events or on the Internet?

Local sh> I'm thinking of buying a fridge freezer to fit into my Defender 110. The two

Reply to
Llandrovers!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Oooh. Whose is the red 101 in these pictures?. The one that isnt Tims? (eg

) It seems to be a close relative of mine, as our numberplates are only

1 digit different (mine is 664 and that one is 654). I hadnt seen any other GVV's until now.. Maybe one day we can catch up with the URR's :-)
Reply to
Tom Woods

It belongs to 'brev', lesser half of 'Kay' ;-)

I woke up on Saturday morning to find that my ambi had cloned itself! Actually, the black stripe along the bottom is a very nice touch which breaks up the bulk quite nicely.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

and a smashing job they've both done so far, too.

Yeah. I was a little 'questioning' of this strategy when Kay mentioned it on the phone, but having seen it, yes - it really does work and breaks the 'shoe box' look very well.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Now all we need is another purple one and alcohol sales will plumet at all landie shows!

Martyn

Reply to
Mother