Exhaust gaskets - V8 - Which way??

I have a vague recolletion of someone mentioning that the V8 exhaust gaskets should go in a particular way around. Any one know which way?

I.e. which side faces the head and which side faces the manifold.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

No I don't think so, there is a certain way round, but only to get them to fit the bolt pattern, they do look different from one side to the other, but this is just the way they are stamped out as far as I know.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Cheers Rich, I did reply to myself but dunno where it went. Basically I found a bit of info on the Rpi site which pointed out that if you fit them wrongly you actually loose 40% of power due to blocking up half the exhaust ports. Once I took a good look both sides were the same but there is a notch on the gasket which matches a notched but on the casting for at least 4 for the 8 ports.

Just thought it may be helpful for any one else in the same position.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

No problem, if you lay the gaskets over the exhaust manifold in a horizontal position and play around with them you will soon se there is only a obvious way however make sure you remember the correct position when the manifold is nearly bolted up and you are putting in the gaskets and also make sure you get both bolts through the gasket and not to one side of them, good luck

Rich

Reply to
Rich