Exhaust has left the vehicle!

Evening

On the way to the pub tonight (as it was my turn to cook :)) the bastard exhaust came off.

The previous owner has removed the last backbox, and moved the exhaust output up a bit, through the body so its out of the way...

if im lucky, i can get someone to weld a bit of straight pipe on the end of where its broken off from a but joint and just bolt it back on...

Well thats the plan.. Can you weld exhaust pipe? I assume so...

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

yep, you can weld it though if its really rusty it can take a bit of effort and disturbing the exhaust to weld one bit can often snap another rusty bit!

Find a mate who has a welder and give him some beers! if its right at the end and easy to get to it is only a quick job!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Mark Solesbury uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Yup... though I'd look at it as an opportunity to eliminate something else from your restricted power list of things it could be.

From what I recall of my Diesel how did you actually know ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I could only tell with mine that it was broken when i drove past somewhere with walls on either side and you notice that you sound (more) like a tractor. When it snapped a couple of foot from the manifold I could tell because everybody was staring at me!

With marks being a turbo the exhaust should be quieter than an N/A anyhow.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

No.... you just noticed they were staring ;-)

Indeed........ enough of this exhaust malarky wheres the piccys of the 101 they call

:-D

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

It does not sound bad at all - defo drivable. The only way i knew it had come off as it was vibrating against the chassis making a racket!

Ill get the tail pipe, (which is in the back now) to someone at the weekend for some welding - Let the bodging begin.

Lee - Do you think that cause its not got a back box that could be causing the lack of power?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Mark Solesbury uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Someone qualified will be along shortly ----->

But basically anything you do to an Exhaust will either improve it or make it worse.... LOL!

I should get in to politics ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

as soon as i get this ****** series 2 movable again i shall refit the few bits still missing from the silver machine and take some pictures!

a seemingly simple brake fix has now taken around 2 weeks, far too much money, and 3 trips to see richard! :(

Reply to
Tom Woods

Assuming my petrol turbo engine knowledge can be transferred to diesel turbos too.. with a turbo engine generally the quicker you can shift the air out the better it works and the quicker/easier the turbo will spool up - so a straight through exhaust on a turbo is good stuff :)

So you only having one silencer box should improve your engine. removing one from my turbo car made it a lot better - so much so that im considering loosing the remaining silencer next and going straight through...

A lack of power on your landy would be more likely due to the existing backbox being blocked.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Thanks Tom ;)

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

btw, did you notice that i linked some pics of your doors in their new home in that other thread?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yeah, i did see that the other day whilst on site down south.

They look well good. Hope your pleased with em!

Do you still need a pic of the stricker? TBH, your MDF one looks almost as good as the real thing!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Found a picture in a magazine and noticed that mine didnt look too different to the proper one! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Its been done to improve off road ability i'd imagine, but i dont ever seem to have seen an exhaust get caught off road as it is hidden in the departure angle recess between the wheels and the cross member?

This is where is is now -

although, id like to know of a cunning way to make the hole a tad bigger. Cant use a normal hole cutter as there is no middle bit to start the drill in........

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Mark Solesbury uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Thick card template and a Plasma cutter... template slightly oversize and used as a guide for the plasmas nozzel.

Reply to
Lee_D

A hand nibbler should do the job and not break the bank.

Reply to
EMB

like the single glass in the rear flanks - is that a kit I can buy-n-fit or did you have to fabricate it?

can you brace a thin piece of ply to one side?

Reply to
William Tasso

After the 'ditch' incident, i found them like it already - But they are loads better than the sliding ones. No rattles and a lot more secure!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

yes - no rattles, that's the ticket :)

Unfortunately (or maybe not), the spare sides I have are without windows. Have to think on that.

Reply to
William Tasso

You mean non-sliding rear windows?

If its anything like a series, get some glass, nibble a hole to fit it and then use some of the standard glass rubber (the stuff with an insert) to fit it with.

Colour in the new hole with a marker pen first and then use a file if you only want it a little bit larger

Reply to
Tom Woods