Exhaust Clip...Ooops

I popped off one the exhaust clips (from the manifold to the header pipe) as it gave me the room I needed to work. Now the problem is I can't get this one damn clip back on. How does one put something like that back on while its tucked behind the engine? Like a big C clip with a round hole in each end... Somehow I have to spread this thing and then put it over the lips of this joint.

Fortunately I have the driveshaft out right now to give a bit better access from the bottom.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Chris

Ok, I found a potential solution... using an exhaust clamp... have to buy one now...

Reply to
Chris

The Bentley indicates there's a special VW tool for this (sounds like you have an A2 right?). If you need it let me know and I'll look up the part number for you in the Bentley.

Reply to
Matt B.

Careful with the exhaust clamp. It does work but make sure your head is protected when you're setting it up...just in case. Numb fingers usually regain sensation. The face is a little more sensitive.

If you have a local machine shop, have them cut a 1/4" thick piece of steel. Flat on the bottom and angled a couple degrees at the top. Hammer the metal into the spring to spread it, install, and twist the exhaust to relieve tension and remove the wedge.

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

No problem -- just use a 2" muffler clamp to hold it open. Check this link, there is a picture about halfway down.

Good luck.

Reply to
Ron Cunningham

Awesome, just did it and it worked like a charm...mind you, you have to unscrew the bolts in a tight position to give slack, but works great.

Reply to
Chris

You can also rent a tool from Adirondack Auto Brokers Inc.

to remove/install these clamps. Ithinks it's a $20 rental plus a $70 deposit and you get the tool for 7 daysfrom when you receive it. I've rented a valve spring compressor from them and had no problems. Made changing the valve seals into an easy afternoon job.

Reply to
Mr.Eddy

Hey that looks cool Being the ignorant bugger i am i always just used the brute force method It's been a while, but I seem to remember pulling with all my might on a looped rope to stretch the blasted clip and slip it into place. I think I cussed once or twice as well...but it seemed to worked pretty quick, at least it did at the time. rick

Reply to
Rick De Visser