performance exhausts.

your opinions ladies and gentlemen please.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Mark Hi,

Land Rover Enthusiast magazine have installed one on the Editor's fleet car (a TD5 engined Discovery series 2) and said it appears to be giving some performance gains, especially on in gear acceleration. The driver has NOT noticed any mileage (fuel economy) gains but confessed that has made full use of the new found acceleration. He also noticed that the exhaust noise has somewhat increased but in a "non intrusive" way (quoting his words)

It is pricey though at around 365 pounds including VAT.

But if it delivers the emissions, mileage and performance gains they say it may be a good alternative to a damaged center silencer.

Summing up his words were "I must say that I'm pretty impressed so far".

Hope this helps

If you decide to buy and install one please let us know.

Take care Pantelis Giamarellos LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE (and Greek correspondent for the LRE magazine)

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Wouldn't you need to do something to the inlet side to achieve some of those claims? Jon (S3s )

Reply to
Jon

Mr.Nice. posted ...

The benefits look good .. but I'd like to know more about how it does it. I'm surmising it's more than simply a big-bore straight through pipe .. and probably works something like the Hiclone inlet systems ... so is also an un-proved system ...

As an engineer I know that correctly modifying the exhaust can provide massive benefits .. But I also know incorrect mods can screw the engine big stylee.

If I had plenty money to spare I'd consider it. If I had a spare vehicle to try it on, again, I'd consider it .. As I have neither, let me know if it works ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Pantelis Giamarellos posted ...

That's how I'd part with cash for this type of thing, as a replacement for a defective or damaged part .. unless I had shed-loads of cash to start with .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I'd be more convinced if they knew how to spell 'benefit' correctly!

Seriously though, I'm a little sceptical about some of their claims. The one thing they are right about is that their system will decrease back pressure. This is a good thing for producing power at the top half of the rev range, but bad for low-end torque as the cylinder scavenging effect of a certain amount of back pressure improves low-end torque.

I fitted a Rimmer Bros full sports system to my 90 V8 and the difference was very noticeable. Firstly when it was fitted a lot of power was lost and the carbs needed the needles replacing with juicier ones so that enough fuel could be pumped in before performance was restored and secondly the freer flow nature of the headers in particular reduced engine braking significantly in low-box. If you are going to go the performance exhaust route, it really must include matched tubular headers or you are wasting your time IMHO and if it is going to be on an off-road vehicle then it must also be designed to be well tucked out of the way and strong enough to take a few knocks. My Rimmer one spent 5 years in peat, mud and sea water and on many occassions was introduced to the concept of 'interference fit' by large chunks of granite, but was still like new.

Reply to
Exit

Are you gonna put one on a 2.5 Diesel?

I had too much free time a couple of weeks ago, so i thought i'd stick the old cherry bomb off my mates 2.25 petrol on my 2.5D. We welded it to a bit of pipe so it's just a straight swap for the standard series backbox section.

I was expecting it to make it sound (more) like a tractor, and not help atall, but it has infact given the engine a bit more go. top end isnt affected, but it pulls better in 1st 2nd and 3rd. I can also now pull off in the overdrive without noticing whereas it wouldnt before.

It also makes it sound nicer too, and thus probably makes my foot heavier!. Its got increased constant noise off the exhaust, but i'd rate that as an improvement as it drowns out some of the diesel rattle :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Twas Fri, 14 May 2004 17:23:36 +0100 when Tom Woods put finger to keyboard producing:

I was yes, I need to do the air filter on my engine, next will be recon injectors, then the fuel pump. after that I was thinking about doing something with the exhaust to increase power and economy if it can be done.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Have a look at

has some good info about length of exhaust manifolds for achievingsome good power/torque increases. Also
which provides good info oninlet and exhaust manifolds plus a fair amount on other engine mods toachieve increased power/torque.

Reply to
Roger Martin

One of the standard improvements to the original Mini was an LCB exhaust, which involved a different manifold ("long centre branch"?). When the Metro came out, that style of manifold was the factory default, and apparently improved fuel economy as well.

It wouldn't astonish me if something similar could be done with the 2.25 and 2.5 engines. What I can recall of the Mini engine, the manifolds are in the same basic style.

Reply to
David G. Bell

An Australian exhaust manufacturer - Lukey - still has the exhaust extractors listed in their catalogue for the 2.25 petrol engine at $285 it has 1 1/2" primary pipes and 1 3/4" secondary pipe. They exit over the top of the second cross member not under the wing. God knows if they do actually make them tho.

I've seen a few fitted to LRs over the years - but have never asked about improvement in performance. I drove a Holden V8 Kingswood Ute years ago that had extractors fitted and that certainly gave it a bit more get and go (as if it needed it!).

Reply to
Roger Martin