FOAK: Installing CD/Radio in a 90

I bought a cheapo CD/MP3-player for the 90 and took the s**te old Sharp cassette player out, as it's been dead for about 10 years now. The player location is in the middle of the "dashboard", unlike a player I saw in a pic, being positioned between the driver and passenger seats. The old set took power through extensions of the cables also powering the cigarette lighter.

I ripped the entire old connector thingy out and was left with the wires (which I didn't label so I'm not 100% sure what's what any more...), which I want to connect to the ISO plugs that came with the new radio. The thing is that the instructions call for several +12v inputs, including one for the radio memory and one that has to be coming from the ignition switch, so that the battery won't get drained when both car and player are off I presume. My question(s): there's a bunch of cables that seem to be lying around; can I just pick a cable measuring 12v and connect it to all the connector ends requiring 12v, excluding the "connect through ignition switch" one, or is there a better way? I expected a three-cable connection (pos, neg, ground), but there seems to be practically only two (never mind the multiple +12 inputs). Any chance I can c*ck it up and have a wrongly grounded radio? I think the old player had a proper ground.

Also, I noticed a diode in one of the connections of the old player, anyone know what it's good for and whether I'll be needing one?

Geo

Reply to
Geo

on all the headunits in my cars i only have one 12v feed (a perm live) which is connected to both the perm and ignition live feeds on the ISO plugs. Cant see the point of running 2 wires to it when one will do fine.

Reply to
Tom Woods

One wire should read 12v all the time. This to to keep memory in the radio (selected channels, and time). One should read only 12 when the key is in acc or the motor is running. This for the accual radio/ cd.You can test the speaker leads w/ a 9v battery. Touch the laeds for on speaker to the battery and the voice coil will"scratch". This should help you locate them correctly.

Reply to
ranewman

Well finally got to it, couldn't find the cable giving 12v when the ignition's on, so I just conencted everything to a permanently live wire. I hope the battery doesn't disapprove. Shame that the CD drive *does* disapprove of the installation angle (way over the 30 degrees allowed by the manufacturer) and makes funny noises when playing.

Geo

Reply to
Geo