forward facing rear seats

Hello,

Looking for info concerning 3rd row forward facing seats for a 110 and disco.

Were any fitted as standard and, how easy are they to fit as a project?

Also, any recommendations as to where to get them from.

My wife won't let me buy one, if the kids have to sit sideways.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Keith Barrett

In article , Keith Barrett writes

Not sure about them in a Disco, doubt there's enough length in the rear compartment to fit forward facing seats.

The 110 is similar to the 90 at the back and forward facing seats advertised in various LR magazines should fit.

For a 110 you could try:

(the only advert I can find quickly at the moment).

Reply to
John Halliwell

We fitted the 3rd row forward facing seats in our disco about 18 months after we bought it. We got them through LR - someone who had them didn't want them. Perfect timing. They fold up when not in use but we took them out for the last long trip, to give us extra storage space. LR did the initial fitting for us but they're easy enough to take in and out.

Viviane

Reply to
Viviane

Keith Barrett posted ...

We looked into this, but they don't fit in a Disco. What we have found, since getting the Disco anyway, with side facing rear seats, is that the kids love it - they fight to get the rear seats.

I would guess that they are a little less safe than 'normal' seats, but it's all relative and we've had no problems whatsoever.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:51:40 -0000, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

not actually convinced about that. In the event of a heavy front impact, you go sideways against the back of the middle row seats, which is relatively soft. Side impact would produce the same sort of effects as front/rear impacts in forward-facing seats.

The fuss and bother about sideways-facing seats was almost all about the long bench seats, with no belts, in the old-style crew buses, which, in a front impact, result in a heap of passengers at the front. Single side-facing in a confined space, where you cant travel far before hitting something, is probably no more dangerous than forward-facing with lap belt, which is the most common alternative.

My 110 has forward-facing seats in the back thanks to new regulations about carriage of children for hire and reward, not because i think they're that much better. In particular, I don't think they're better than the side-facing ones in the disco.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

in article c0nc1m$17q719$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-137265.news.uni-berlin.de, Paul - xxx at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 15/2/04 8:51 am:

They are forward facing seats on the newer Discovery, but I think from what I read is that they have a couple of inches extra to be able to do so. I'm not that keen on them either, but we had some better seat belts fitted in the rear of our Discovery, rather than the lap belts.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Austin Shackles posted ...

Yeah .. we went out today and I rode in the back, with the wife, while a friend drove with our kids and his in the front and rear seats. I must say the side facing seats seem perfectly safe, in fact I was surprised how comfy they were. I guess a few hundred miles might be awkward, but for shorter journeys they seemed absolutely fine.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

my disco has the inner facing seats and my kids love them and they got seat-belts too,only problem that i`ve got is that i have 3 kids and only 2 seats ??????????????

Reply to
mark

On or around Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:09:33 +0000, Nikki Cluley enlightened us thusly:

the forward-facing ones have very limited knee-room.

I suppose you have got mounting points for 3-point belts for sideways seats, in theory - they could share the upper mounting for the middle-row seat, and there are already 2 bottom mountings.

Not feasible on the earlier 110, though. Do recent 110s have 3-point belts for the middle row, and if so, what's the top mounting attached to?

Reply to
Austin Shackles