101 Questions

Well, I haven't even picked it up, and i am thinking of stuff i want to do with it.

First one is fit seatbelts to the rear bench seats. Is it possible? Kits out there somewhere in military spares world?

Secondly, i will occasionally want to tow a civvy trailer, or caravan. Obviously I will need a drop plate of some kind, but I don't want a plough permanently bolted on the back. In my dim and distant memory I remember an article in one of the comics, where a guy had build a drop plate that hung from the NATO hitch, with stays to tha chassis, much like RR / Disco drop plates. Did these go into production? Does anyone have the article in their back issues? Or is there another solution I am missing?

Apologies if these have been asked before, but I have had a google, with out much luck!

Best Regards

MW

Reply to
Mark Williamson

Hi Mark,

Are you a member of the Yahoo 101 group yet ?

We fitted a frame that takes three forward facing ex-minibus seats, complete with seatbelts in ours. The frame comes in and out with four (big) bolts to the frame.

Mine drops off with 6 bolts- takes 10 minutes to drop it on and off. If you find a NATO hitch clip, that's be cool.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

possible? Kits

The rear seats designed for the 101 had lap belts attached but are now unobtainable. Normal short bench seats would fit with aftermarket lap belts bolted through the body work with spreader plates.

The usual method of making a tow plough is to fabricate something that hangs from the NATO hitch and is braced back to brackets welded to the chassis rails and secured by a couple of bolts.

If you do a search on or join the 101 Yahoo group this will be answered in more detail, there may even be photos on file.

Sean

73FL74 101GS 1984 110 2.5NA Medway Military vehicle Group www.mmvg,net
Reply to
sean101ryan

Thanks all,

I have followed the instructions for the 101 group, so should soon be joining you all there.

It has some seats in the back already, but i didn't notice any belts.

Really should calm down and wait till it's on the drive!

Best Regards

Reply to
Mark Williamson

Nah, when it's there you can worry about how to afford keep in there. When it's not you can worry about how your going to get it back there. Infact the only time you'll stop worrying is between filling up and the arrival of the statement ;o)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Why do you want seatbelts when they are not necessary, I do not believe there is such a thing as a safe seatbelt for sideways passengers.

Incedentally how many people here wear seat belts when travelling by Taxi.

Now it is not that I am against seat belts because I have been saved from injury by them in the past (though still banged my head) however there is a trade off between practicality and necessity and chance.

My landie currently has one bench seat, one rearward facing seat and one reconstructed back seat on top of a locker with very little headroom, none of which have belts or require them.

Reply to
Larry

Fair points, however I am part of an organisation that says all passengers must have a seatbelt.

It will help them to stay in the vehicle, and I will know they are more likely to stay sat down and not leer out the back.

May well look to the bus seats at some stage, but this will do for starters.

If the worst happens i doubt whether it will make a great deal of difference either way.

MW

Reply to
Mark Williamson

Or headbutt the driver at 40mph plus...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

By the way, that was 2 questions... When do we get the other 99?

Reply to
David French

Reply to
Mark Williamson

Lap belts on the rear bench seats certainly stops the kids bouncing onto the floor in our 101GS when we are off road :-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I had 8 kids in the 110 the other week, including 4 on the rear bench seats with lap belts on, it struck me that in a crash having 7 or 8 kids flailing and bouncing around inside was dangerous to say the least, at laest with the lap belts their flailing would be comparativly limited.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

It was after one too many sudden stops with the kids in the back that made me go and buy forward facing seats with proper seat belts.

I couldn't see how even having lap belts on the side bench seats would protect the kids if we crashed.

Only problem is that I now have a 4 seat car instead of a 7 seater. But I feel a lot happier with them strapped in properly.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

On or around Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:20:13 +0100, MVP enlightened us thusly:

I trust you're not doing "organised activities with children"...

sideways bench seats are non-legit for that, now. The scouts apparently have trouble with this, as do I. Hence my bench seat in the back of the disco, which does rather use most of the cargo space, I admit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

no, was just my daughter and a group of friends off to town to see a film.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

somehting else I'd be doing if I was keeping the 110 is fit 3-point belts on the 2 outer rear seats (second row, csw), the side-facing reat bench seats are so rarely used for people I'd leave the lap-belts as is. The soon-to-buy disco will have the 2 seats in the rear but they'll be behind a dog-guard which makes me feel better ref stopping the kids flying aorund, but again 99% of the time it'd be cargo or dogs in the rear anyway.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

No sure that a dog guard would actually stop an unrestrained child coming to vist the front of the car in a crash. I've not examined the fixings of one but illustrations I've seen show not much more than a plastic clip and a self tapper or two.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:52:56 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

The one I had in my disco was attached to the side panels by a couple of 6mm bolts into captive nuts each side.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You're thinking of keeping the kids behind a dog guard - what a good idea!

Reply to
Dougal

Exactly, not a lot. Look at seat belt anchor points they are pretty sturdy, 10mm or so into lots of metal...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice