Free-wheel hubs - removal

Can anyone help please? I've got Power-Train free-wheeling hubs on my Series III and I need to change the wheel bearings. Does anyone know how to remove/refit Power-Train hubs (the proper way!)?

I've got the blurb for Fairey FWH but can't (so far) find anything for Power-Train ones. They're the sort where just a little bar on the end of the hub turns, not the entire cap like the Fairey version.

TIA, Steve

Reply to
Steve

All the hubs i have seen have a ring of little allan headed bolts around the end (6 on all mine). You need to find the correct sized key to fit them and make sure that you clean the hole out/knock the key in cos they round off easily (usually are tight!). If they round off, you can hammer a torx bit into the end of them and that always seems to shift them.

After you have done the ring of bolts, the end cap will lift off. You can then undo the big nut that goes over the end of the halfshaft. Is likely to be either a 24 or 27mm nut, or i took some apart last night that just had a round castelated nut which you had to get off with a chisel. It may have a split pin through it too, so remove that first.

After the nut is off, you can undo the 6 15mm bolts that hold the endcap (or freewheeling hub in this case) on, and pull it off. You can then get at the wheel bearings.

HTH

can provide picturs if you like since i have 2 apart on the bench in the garage!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Thanks - I'll have a look. I know how the hub itself and the wheel bearings are replaced, it was just how to get the FWH unit removed that I was a bit stumped with.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Haynes ...........ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha he he he he he haw haw haw haw....

Sorry. No, the Haynes manual shows nothing.

Reply to
Steve

Tom Woods posted:

Guess who, many years ago, took a castellated nut off, thinking 'jeez this is hard work' .. only for the split pin bits to fall out when it was finally off ... ;)

You only do that sort of thing once .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

You arn't the only one who's done that!. Took me ages to drill the remains of the split pin out afterwards too!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods posted:

fscked the threads of the (motorcycle) rear wheel spindle the nut was coming off of too in my case .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

OK - job done. :o)

Three screws and the cap came off. The Torque/hex screws had a centre pin (anti-tamper??) so I went for the screws first - good move. After that it was just a standard hub removal procedure ..... on a par with the Fairey FWH arrangement really. Oh well, you live and learn. BTW, is the large quantity of orange dust that came out a new sort of miracle lubricant?

Steve

Reply to
Steve