Who runs this group?

My understanding of how newsgroups work is poor. Who actually set up this group and oversees its running. I was wondering because it would be great to have an alt.fan.landrover.spares group for selling bits and swapping bits. I know there are already loads out there, but I trust you lot (some of you) and this group seems to have loads more members than any most others. Is it a major mission to get a new group setup, or would it be worth a try? Is anybody interested?

Reply to
DavidM

is a reasonable place tostart.

David

Reply to
David French

Groups in usenet are created, but not necessarily owned, by anyone. Groups can be moderated, in which case the moderator oversees the posting content etc. Most groups (those not in the .moderated. heirachy) aren't moderated. See other reply for how to create a group, which although once a long process can be done more quickly these days. We were able to create a binaries group to allow posting of large files away from the text group alt.coffee.

Reply to
danny

The mind boggles.

Reply to
David French

alt.* newsgroups are a bit different, since in theory _anyone_ can send out the special messages which create a new newsgroup. In practice, the chances of anyone listening are pretty slim. If you can make a sensible proposal, and get a few respected news admins to support the idea, then it works out.

But I'm not sure that there is a need for your proposal. The traffic on the newsgroup doesn't seem excessive, and sell/swapping bits isn't a major part of the traffic.

Havinbg said that, you're definitely starting in the right way.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Me, why? - - wanna fight? ;-)

Well, this is a large round metal container full of wiggly fishbate to be sure...

Usenet is a lagacy system and appending to the existing hierarchy (such as a.f.l) although possible is difficult to maintain. Anyone could (in theory) setup the group you name, but the chances of it being carried are slim.

There is a possible option of creating a uk.* group in the appropriate tree, but you should take a little time to read (at least some of) unnc (uk.net.news.config) first to see what is involved (although there are mentors who will help with the creation process).

(Yes, I'm a sort of regular on unnc too).

Reply to
Mother

There's a rather silly parody of this floating around written by someone who had an unusual amount of free time, at the time... ;-)

Reply to
Mother

FIGHT. No, just a few wise words. But, your not French are you? 8P

Sounding tricky. I don't want to go out on a limb or trample toes or make a monkey of myself. I found my SIII by begging in this group, just thought I could spread a little of love. I'll do some reading. cheers DavidM

Reply to
DavidM

I read a while back that one of the biggest problems is actually getting the news service providers to accept the for sale type newsgroups. Sooner or later they get over run with commercial ads and theres not a moderator in the world who can devote enough time to checking 100s of posts each day. The private ads get swamped and no one looks at them because they cant filter the commercial from the private. The other problem with usenet is that it only takes one crook to sell an expensive non existent part and the newsgroup becomes a whinging forum instead of a for sale forum.

To me eBay seems to be the most succesful method of selling used parts - its searchable, the ads are always current (have a look at private BBs where there are still for sale ads from the late 1990s), you can get some real bargains. With mail costs being so low its possible to buy rare parts from anywhere in the world and still get a bargain. There is also buyer protection from fraud which encourages me to use it to buy from overseas sources that I would not otherwise touch with a bargepole.

ps I'm selling a few Land Rover Series bits on eBay at present so should declare my hand.

Reply to
Roger Martin

Hi

There are a few sites that do as you wish, *avert eyes if you do want to read blatant add*

has a parts exchange, which backs on to other sitesaround the globe (including, istr a few series ones...)....might be worthhaving a look there?

*advert over*
Reply to
Neil Brownlee