Rule of Tim - here's an odd one

Any idea why our Hollandaise Sauce keeps curdling?

We start with an egg yolk and a few ml of lemon juice, and occasionally a few drops of warm water (which doesn't seem to make any difference). Heat over simmering water until it starts to thicken a bit. Then take off the heat and add, little by little, some butter (not melted), and whisk it in.

Great except we have about a 50% success rate. Half the time (almost exactly half), the stuff goes all oily and bitty and you have to throw it away. The rest of the time, although we seem to be doing exactly the same routine, it works perfectly.

If anybody has any ideas... it would save us some eggs.

David.

Reply to
David French

Hollandaise is tempremental, I find that putting another egg yolk in a bowl and wisking while slowly adding the curdled stuff normall helps

However, I use two recipes for Hollandaise, one quick, one not so quick, and can be found in the cooks bible, Delias Complete Cookery Course....

Quick:

6oz butter 1 tbsp white wine vinegar 2 tbsp lemon 3 egg yolks pinch salt Melt the butter slowly in a seperate saucepan boil the vinegar and lemon juice. Blend the egg yolks and salt in a liquidiser (i use the hand held braun thingy..) and gradually add the boiling lemon/white wine. slowly add the butter once it has boiled and blend it in until all thickened.

Slow, about 75-85% success reduction part

2 tbsp white wine vinegar 3 tbsp water 1 slice onion 1 blade mace 1/2 bay leaf 6 peppercorns

sauce part

1 tbsp water 3 egg yolks 6oz butter lemon juice to taste salt and pepper

Put the reduction part in a saucepan and simmer until just 1tbsp is left. Strain into a bowl, and start adding the sauce part as follows: add 1 tbsp water, season and whisk in the egg. Place over a pan of just simmering water and add the butter 1/2 oz at a time, whisking and waiting until melted and thickened before adding the next bit.

Cook for 2 mins, taste add lemon juice and season if required.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs