waterproofing a 3.5 l V8

Having had a fairly disastrous off-road play with my 101, I'd like to get some tips for protecting the engine from water spray ! Does the coil need to be in an air (water :-( ) flow for cooling, cos' I'd like to move it from the direct line of fire off the fan.

The dizzy seemed to cop it too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Firstly - drive slower through water! ;-)

then:

Cut 3 litre pop bottle end off and attach some elastic and use to cover dizzy before playing. Seal dizzy cap with a tube of silicon grease. Spray coil with aerosol of silicon grease. If you have standard leads, replace with high quality ones such as magnecor. Fit plug top 'carrots' if you can find any - craddocks used to do them.

Enjoy.

Reply to
Exit

Have sent you a pic of my dizzy. also (but never tried it) is that if you drill a small hole in the cap with a length of small tubing attached to somewhere like the bulkhead, then drill another small hole with another piece of tubing in and route it into your air intake it wil stop condensation forming such as when it gets sprayed with (cold) water. Can anybody tell me if this would actaully work? Richard

Reply to
Richard

Thanks for the picture Richard.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On this theme you could also try what is done with some millitary 24v dizzys and have 2 air pipes connected to the dizzy one end to the atmosphere from a raised position in the cab and the other connected to manifold vacume which gives forced ventilation enugh to remove condensation and water vapor ...

Reply to
Shayne