Freelander

A friend of mine has a Freelander she said when she reverses with lock on there is a loud banging it is getting worse,if she goes straight back it is fine,do any of you lot have any ideas what it could be as the warrenty runs out in March Thanks in advance Paul Ps I only know about me Rangie or series landys not got this posh yet

Reply to
Paul Coley

Does it happen on both left and right lock?

Tyre catching against wheel-arch?

Reply to
Ian

Reply to
Paul Coley

Paul Coley composed the following;:

CV Joints ?

When mine went they could be heard, and felt, mostly when reversing. Though I have a Disco, not a Freelander .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

So Paul - xxx was, like

Seized IRD? I've heard it's not uncommon.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

People Hi,

from what I also heard the IRD seizes when the VC has already been seized.

In order to check for a seized VC unit you put first gear in, undo the handbrake, lift one rear wheel up and try to rotate it. If it rotates with some resistance but without feeling like a locked up transmission then the VC unit is OK. If the wheel does not rotate at all or has the "locked transmission when turning" feel then the VC unit is damaged.

A permanently locked VC unit loads the transmission components with too much stress and this results into either the IRD or the rear diff giving up the ghost.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

A far more easy way to check if the VC is seized,is to draw a line over the complete unit with chalk. Make a short ride and check if the parts have rotated between each other. I've never heard of a seized VC unit so far.It's often suspected,but most of the time a faulty IRD unit is the problem Later IRD units give no problems.

Woodstock

Reply to
Woodstock