To Freelander or not to Freelander....

...that really is the question?

Currently own a Saab 9-3 Aero but looking for something that is a little lighter on the insurance, bigger inside and fun. Also needs to be able to tow the dive club boat and fit 2 lots of dive gear in the back. A 4x4 seems to fit the bill and my wife prefers the Freelander over the Disco and Rangie.

Test drove a 2.5 V6 ES Freelander and was quite taken with it. Not sure of the options list but it had manual aircon, CD player, electric lots and a really funky bodykit on it. Anyway, 2 questions:

1) what do people think of their/the 2.5 V6 ES AUto? 2) opinions on the Freelander in general (reliability, practicality, etc...)

Thanks guys, and girls I presume

Mark

Reply to
John Smith

It's a Land Rover. Adjust your expectations and you'll be fine.

Don't expect it to be anything like the Saab to live with. It's a Land Rover thing.

It may well break down occassionally. So do TVR's and Aston Martins. It's a Land Rover thing.

Don't expect too much from the 2.5L V6 engine. It'll pull like a 2L car. It's a Land Rover thing.

They are so much more fun than any (non sports-) car. It is, after all, a Land Rover thing.

Reply to
Steve Morgan

I'm not sure the Freelander will be a great advance on any of those counts. Interior space is not great, and neither is boot space. I've never been in a 9-3 though! Nor do I know how big your boat is - Freelander is a decent tow machine but not in the same class as the bigger Land Rovers.

2.5 is very thirsty. Drive a TD4 as well - you may be very pleasantly surprised and I would expect it to be a better tow car. Auto is better than manual IME.

Reliability is fairly well sorted AFAIK.

I personally hate the bodykits.

I've seen the new one in the flesh and it is a much better looking machine than the old one and the interior is much more up to date. Worth waiting for I would say. Not sure when it is available, but it shouldn't be long.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

But if you really mean you want it to be fun, spend the extra 400 quid on the under body kit with decent front towing points, then take it to an off road center, better still with a club and use it for what it's designed for, which is not delivering the kids to school.

It won't be as much fun on theas a 9-3 but if you expand it's horizons it will be much. much more. Oh, and test drive the TD4 too especially if you are getting an auto.

Reply to
John Page

Personally I would not buy a Freelander, bits still falling off, doubtful reliability, and bad press because of this. I would favour a Disco. Not ever owned either ...... just what I have read in the motoring press AND remember folks, this is a PERSONAL opinion only !!!

Mick

1991 D90 Defender 2.5 N/A
Reply to
AndWhyNot

The Freelander boot space is shocking! I tend to go to the supermarket in my saloon car. Packing for holidays is a work of art! However, with the rear seats down, it is averagely cavernous.

At work (Ambulance Service), our officer's Freelanders are being replaced with Nissan X-Trails, as they have better capacity. No plans to replace our Discovery on emergency standby, packed to the gunnels with shiny equipment.

Cheers

Blippie

-- Visit the alt.aviation.safety FAQ online at

Blippie

I have had two Freelanders. A XEDi, SW, great car, lots of miles, loved it to bits but it ended in tears.

My current Td4 ES SW (manual) is excellent with much improved build quality and a reliable engine. It a great family car but also a good cruising workhorse (I do 40k per year). Its idea for the occasional 'off roading' I have to do on ocnstruction sites.

I have found a good dealer who 'does the business' when it comes to service but charges for it. 35mpg, tyres last 40k front, 70 to 80k rear, servicing expensive for a 2.0Td! Pads last 36k discs a lot longer - in my experience!

My Td4 has only had one fault, a pin dropped out of the clutch mechanism (a known problem) but LR Assist came to the rescue and after one hour we were driving a courtesy car with no major problems since.

This car has been a lot more reliable than the BMW's, Audis & VW company cars my colleagues use at work, so well done Landrover!

The new model does look smart and is due very soon.

I drove an auto but prefered the manual and the greater fuel economy.

Happy motoring

Reply to
Alastair Keith