Freelander not starting everytime!

Have an V6 'X' reg, Freelander which has been trouble free for the last 12 months or so!

However, these past few weeks it has not always started first time, always did before, it's as if the immobiliser is operating or, out of petrol, the engine turns fine, if we keep trying, it will eventually start and continue to work for maybe weeks afterwards.

We have 'spare' key and alarm fob we got from the local Landrover dealer when we bought the Freelander 2 years ago, so, we are now trying that as the main key see how we go!

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with this 2000 Freelander? generally I'm very pleased with it, particularly with the Steptronic automatic box, beautiful, but, being auto, one cannot bump start in difficult situations!!

Brian (Huddersfield)

Reply to
Horse.trader

Brian,

I have a late '01 TD4 and started to have this problem at around 75k miles, and ignored it. Eventually the fuel pump (located in the fuel tank) failed ..... symptom it wouldn't start at all and the engine management light came on. Not sure if the same would apply to your model though. Diagnosis and fix was quick albeit expensive (around £475 [diagnose, supply & fit] by main LandRover dealer).

All that said it was the first component failure for the vehicle which you would classify as 'unscheduled' or 'not normal wear and tear' ....... just been touching a few bits of wood lol.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Food for thought there Richard, thank you. It would make sense what you say, as the symptoms are of possibly no fuel!

When I first purchased the Freelander (second hand) 2 years ago, I had a string of problems, starter motor failure, cooling system 'T' junction failure, leaking expansion bottle lid etc., After rectifying these, generally been pleased with the machine, waving the flag for Brittan etc!

Having said all that, these Freelanders are absolutely superb in the snow and ice, got me home (in the middle of nowhere) every time last year.

Brian (Huddersfield)

Reply to
Horse.trader