Ka brakes stuck

The rear drum brakes are stuck (after lying idle for two weeks). Tried forwards and backwards on power, but rear wheels just won't turn. Tried hammering the drums with the wheels off. Tried levering the drums around with a long lever. Help!!

Reply to
Patrick

Disengage handbrake?

Reply to
gazzafield

"gazzafield" wrote in message news:Y6mdnT0099 snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Of course

Reply to
Patrick

the only reason they will stick on is if there is brake fluid leaking inside. So a lack of maintenance then? With the handbrake off and the wheel off take a large hammer (preferably copper) and give the drum a heavy whack. If it still won't move (unlikely) then remove the stub axle bolts from behind and give it another clunk (this will enable things to move around a bit further)

Reply to
MrCheerful

Car is serviced regularly. Thanks all for ideas. I will try these and let you know.

Reply to
Patrick

"MrCheerful" wrote in news:nJVHh.80535$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Just out of interest - how does a leaky cylinder end up causing the brakes to bind? Is it to because the cylinders seize when they leak?

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Brake fluid soaks into the shoes, brake fluid attracts water, water rusts brake drum, rust infiltrates surface of brake shoes and 'glues' them to the drum, first warning sign is a jerk and a clonk in the morning when the handbrake is released, particularly after a very damp warm night.

Hence me saying that routine maintenance has been missed, at least once a year the brakes should be thoroughly inspected, I would usually peel back the cylinder boots, any sign of fluid means they get changed, long before the whole drum is soaked in fluid and before the shoes need replacing.

I find most small fords need the cylinders renewing every thirty thousand or so which is also about when they need the brake fluid changing.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

"MrCheerful" wrote in news:WZZHh.81430$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Ahhh....I get it now. Thanks :-)

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that many less scrupulous mechanics neglect to check inside the drums at all during a routine minor service. The reason being that, as long as no immediate problem is present, the customer has no way of knowing whether any inspection has been carried out or not. Hence poorly maintained rear brakes may not always be the result of owner negligence. Although I would expect a good motorist to spot the drop in fluid level at the resevoir before the stage where the shoes start rusting onto the drum.

That seems rather poor.....good job they're cheap on Fords ;-)

Reply to
Stu

Not IME. The only stuck brakes I've come across were on cars that had been parked for some time with the h/brake on. Bright clean metal can go rusty overnight, simply due to the change in temperature between night and day, which causes condensation. This can build up enough rust over time to permeate the brake linings, so they stick to the drums. Clutches can be affected in a similar way. It usually takes longer than two weeks before this happens, but high humidity can accelerate the process.

I would advise the OP or anyone else intending to park their car for a few days or longer, to make sure they leave the h/brake off, with bottom gear engaged instead. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Obviously the handbrake needs to be on for this to occur overnight. It DOES occur overnight, I have encountered it many times, and if a car with leaky brakes is left for a few weeks then they get really stuck.

Normal, non leaky brakes can be left for months with the handbrake on without problems, more than three months then yes, find a better way, preferably up on blocks. Also bear in mind that your advice would leave many vehicles illegally parked (parking brakes set is a legal requirement), likewise a car can easily be knocked out of gear, while a handbrake requires two actions (usually ) to release it. (personally I leave my own cars in gear as well as handbrake)

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

When leaving a car for any length of time. Leave the handbrake OFF. Leave the car in gear instead if you are worried about it running away. Or chock the wheels.

Usually as the drums age they will rust quicker and the brake shoes can stick to the sides. You'll need to pull the brake drums off. Hopefully you'll still have some brake shoe left or you'll need to replace the shoes.

Reply to
david.cawkwell