Fuckwit alert!

Got three points today for talking on mobile. My fault, emergency call out with my headset flat. Just goes to show though. I never miss an unmarked car, ever. Missed this one. Total lack of concentration from talking on phone.

What a f****it I am.

Reply to
Nige

Full marks for owning up to your fuckwittedness, though.

No whinging, hands up, good boy.

Dave

Reply to
Dave P

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

I'm annoyed at myself to be honest, it something I never do, but circumstances all conspired to make me a f****it for the afternoon. Normal service has been resumed.

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

Get a decent hard-wired car kit for it.

Reply to
EMB

Yep, it's the only way.

Reply to
Nige

Remember - the new laws state that the phone must be fixed to the vehicle now, even if using bluetooth handsfree. Go figure :(

Obviously a cheap vent clip will suffice, I guess it is so the Police can verify you were not operating the device while driving ....

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Nige> Got three points today for talking on mobile. My fault, Nige> emergency call out with my headset flat.

I got a Parrot CK3100 from

for SWMBOs F**d F*c*s last year and was some impressed I've just had one fitted in the Disco. Works like a charm and is completely automatic - pairs with the phone when I turn the ignition on, shuts off and returns me to the phone when I turn the ignition off, even if the phone is in my pocket at the time.

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB

Really?

FFS.

I'll rubber band mine to the handbrake.

David

Reply to
rads

If you can find one. I recently bought a new Nokia mobile. Fancy bluetooth and all that. I think I got to page 42 in the handbook b4 I found out how to make a phone call.

Had a Nokia car kit fitted. Doesn't charge the handset like the old one used to. Insists on bleeping at me every time I switch the ignition on or off and cuts off the radio speakers for about 5 secs. Has a stupid little led to tell me it's connected but you can't really see if it's on or not.

Only good thing I had the optional extra fitted to use the radio speakers rather than a separate one.

Reply to
hugh

On or around Wed, 04 Apr 2007 10:33:09 +0100, AndyC the WB enlightened us thusly:

coo, that sounds handy.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 04 Apr 2007 09:52:35 GMT, rads enlightened us thusly:

indeed. of course, the minions of the law, highly trained as they are, can presumably use a hand-held communications device while driving.

hmm. are you still allowed to use hand-held mikes, as on CBs and such?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Aren't either wireless, or wired, hands-free sets illegal? ISTR that one or the other is explicitly banned, so you have to get one or the other but you have to get the right one. I think it might be wired headsets that aren't legal, for some odd reason.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

CB's and any one-way key-on/key-off device is still allowed. Which I assume includes TETRA. It's so ambulance crews etc can still us the systems .....

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Second recomendation for the Parrot stuff.

CK3100 fitted to the wife's car, and even she can use it.

David

Reply to
rads

My Nokia one does the same with any phone it's been set up to play nicely with - it handles my Nokia, SWMBOs Sony and my son's Samsung quite happily (admittedly not all at once).

Reply to
EMB

EMB> Austin Shackles wrote: >> coo, that sounds handy.

EMB> My Nokia one does the same with any phone it's been set up to EMB> play nicely with - it handles my Nokia, SWMBOs Sony and my EMB> son's Samsung quite happily (admittedly not all at once).

The engineer who installed mine said that he's seen various problems with non-Nokia phones working with their kit, whereas the Parrot will work with pretty much everything. They release firmware updates once in a while to support new phones.

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB

Nige

Ignoring using the phone in your mit, a considerable amount of teeth gnashing and self flagellation must be in order for actually being caught doing so (by whatever means), don't you think?

Has anyone ever met/heard/read of anyone ever being knicked for using a mobile in this way?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Well, yes - Nige, as a matter of fact! As he admits, he was caught because he wasn't paying attention, and he wasn't paying attention because he was on the phone.

FWIW, I use the bluetooth link on my Tomtom to make/receive calls on long journeys, and I find it pretty distracting. It's legal, but I still don't think it's safe. I try to use it as little as possible. I reckon it's the conversation that takes up 80% of your attention, not the actual holding of the handset, which is pretty trivial when you think of all the other things you can legally do while driving.

I'd be quite happy if they banned mobile use in cars - full stop. I've always thought that, and now I'm commuting on two wheels, I think it even more.

Reply to
Rich B