Fuel consumption and Disco's / Rangies

thats where the car allowance bit comes into play ;-)

that should be of the order £500 AGpcm which is more than enough for that sort of thing

Its been three years since I used the rangie for business, back then insurance was £700 year with business, and I had a fuel card and no private mileage restrictions - oh how things have changed.

the 13p per mile is **NOT** the total running cost of the car - its just the reimbursement value of fuel per business mile

Si

Reply to
simonk

Paul - xxx posted ...

Actually I've just added another cell on the same sheet and when I disregard initial cost, insuranmce, Tax, MOT then the cost so far os £0.17 per mile .. which will come down, I guess, as time goes on. Which I'm extremely happy with as when I use it for work I get 33p per mile returned .. I work for a local council .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

The only other explanation was that you were trying to hynotise us.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Very true, but if he is using the vehicle for work, the insurance cost will increase, and even if it doesn't, its only fair for the employer to contribute his share of insurance/tax/depreciation/mot etc, so you must allow for these figures in the costing

Reply to
SimonJ

As this seems to have set off a whole host of how much should you get kind of messages let me clarify a few points

1) The only thing I am interested in right now is the cost per mile - the company return 13 p per mile 2) Other costs such as servicing, insurance, tyres etc, are covered by a car allowance - this is around £500 pcmAG

so back to the original question - fuel wise (ie you fill up and you divide the cost of filling by the number of miles travelled) what do you get.

Need to know the engine spec, gearbox type and anything else pertinent

Thankyou again

Si

Reply to
simonk

When they bought out LPG they said that the prices were being held low to encourage usage and conversion. The price of LPG will go up to be nearer to petrol prices but should stay significantly lower because it is a cleaner point-of-use fuel and that currently earns governments lots of brownie points.

I recon it'll be biofuels (eg: rape seed oil) as fuel of the future. "Put it in your tank or fry your chips in it"

Reply to
PDannyD

simonk posted ...

13p per mile, over a distance of about 13000 miles, meticulously recorded after every fill-up ..

When I take a subset of fill-ups from a couple of times when I know I've filled up and only run on motorways etc, then the cost did come down dramatically to about 10p per mile. Mostly we tow caravans and are fully loaded, so 13p per mile is, I reckon, not the best that we could achieve. It _is_ what we actually get though .. ;)

Discovery 300Tdi 'P' reg, 68000 miles, had 55000 when we bought it in September '03. Manual gearbox, BF Goodrich AT 31 x 105 R15 tyres which raise gearing a tad. No 'additions' or enhancements to engine other than regular servicing and attention to detail on all grease points, running gear etc etc

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Sun, 23 May 2004 09:07:19 +0000 (UTC), "SimonJ" enlightened us thusly:

yes, if you're getting paid for costing. However, from another post, looks like the 13ppm is just for fuel.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 23 May 2004 10:29:44 +0100, "simonk" enlightened us thusly:

you should just manage it with a decent gas system, provided you can get gas cheap enough. How are you off for gas suppliers?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

thats right,

the 13 p is JUST FOR FUEL

nowt else

Si

Reply to
simonk

Okie dowklie then!! Still not enough!

Reply to
SimonJ

In message , simonk writes

That's right.

What you need to do is to keep a log of ALL your car expenditure (fuel, insurance and any excess you have to pay in the year, road tax, repairs, parts, rescue, car washing and valeting, loan interest etc.). Also keep a log of your business mileage together with a note of your overall mileage. If anyone needs it I have a little Excel workbook that works it all out - I can let you have a copy if you want - please ask.

At the end of the year work out your total expenditure and find out the business proportion.

You can also claim Capital Allowances on the business proportion of your depreciation (reducing amount at 25% pa)

Subtract the amount given to you by your employer and claim the rest as expenses on your tax return or, if you don't complete a tax return, by letter

Make sure that you keep all your receipts and invoices and the mileage log so you can, if required, back up your claim to the Inland Revenue.

Doing it this way gets you around the 10,000 miles rule (40p per mile for first 10,000 miles and 25p per mile after that) as that only applies if you are re-imbursed by your employer above these levels - and you are getting way below that!

Reply to
John Bradbury

"This is a members-only area You need to be a member of this group in order to gain access to this area."

Reply to
Niamh Holding

Niamh Holding posted ...

Sorry. Just checked and it appears you shouldn't have to be a member to download the files or pictures .. I guess you have 'something' in your settings that isn't happy.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

no mines the same need to be a member

Andy

-- SWB Series 2a ( dressed as a 3) "Bruce" It's big it's mean it's really really green

Reply to
Andy.Smalley