Gearbox Oil

I want to change the oil in the gear and transfer boxes on a 2002 Td5 Defender. Which oil is the correct one to use?

Thanks

Graeme

Reply to
Cassillis

Ditto for R 380 on a Defender CSW 1997/8 please, what is best ??

Reply to
Hirsty's

If you have a moment and plenty of paper in your printer over to

you can download the owners handbook f.o.c. if you do decide toprint it out note the blank pages (next to chapter heading pages) are not included in the PDF so you print out that page and then starta new blank sheet for the third page of each chapter otherwise the page numbers get peculiar.Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sat, 19 Aug 2006 14:48:37 GMT, "Hirsty's" enlightened us thusly:

I'd go with SAE80W90 or straight SAE90 in the T-box and MT75 (SAE75) synthetic in the R380. Assuming the TD5 is still using the R380 then the oils should be the same.

The official oil for the R380 is ATF, Dexron II. The 75 synthetic is better oil though, the only thing I found is that the gear change feels a touch on the heavy side on cold (as in sub-zero) mornings, but that only persists for a mile or so. If you were paranoid, you could let it idle for a few minutes in cold conditions before moving off... other than that, it seemed better. the synthetic oil is the kind they put in 'boxes that don't have oil changes...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Texaco MTF 94 is the factory fill for the gearbox (M380). 80/90 gear oil for the transfer. Alternatives are Castrol Syntrans (75W/85) for the g/box, and Syntrax 80/90 for the T/fer. These are both fully synthetic (and rather expensive!!).

The MTF94 is a 75/80 semi-synth blend developed by Texaco for L/Rover, and supercedes the recommendation of ATF.

Cheers,

Graeme Evans

Reply to
Graeme Evans