Gearbox oil for a 109 Series 3 petrol

Hmm, OK. What is the difference between the two (apart from the spelling - as Minnie Bannister would say, "help me, differently spelt gearbox")

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

LT95 - the LT85 was a five speed fitted to later models (post about 86) unless I am mistaken. JD

Reply to
JD

Sorry - I'm getting confused.

LT95 was the four speed RR 'box used on the Series III with V8. It also appeared on some 90/110 V8s.

LT85 is the five speed 90/110 V8 'box.

LT77 is the five speed 90/110 4cyl engine 'box.

I think that's right - subject to correction, of course!

Reply to
Dougal

Can't remember, but isn't it one piece like the LT95? I've repaired them and still can't remember.

You didn't stop for breath. ;-)

Martin.

Reply to
Oily

Trouble is, he's probably done that from memory.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sat, 19 Aug 2006 14:25:55 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

not sure where the series HBOL is - I think there are gearbox suffix letters for the various types :-) The series HBOL, being an old one, actually has worthwhile information in it, unlike the modern ones.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Is 10L enough? I'm sure i worked it out for a whole landy in the past and it came to 14L or something.

Remember you have:

Front diff Rear Diff Transfer Box Gearbox Overdrive (if fitted)

2 Front hubs

All using EP90.

Ive been putting EP90 into my steering box for years and it has made ot no worse! :)

Also - dont fill either the steering box or the hubs right before your MOT as it will show up leaks and you may regret it!

Should the steering thingy that goes through the very front crossmember next to the radiator also have EP90 in it?

Reply to
Tom Woods

The previous owner seems to have kept most levels up and the oil is clean and fresh so I'm not draining everything for the sake of it, sadly the plug on the rear diff was seized so he had let that go right down, just where it all went is presently a mystery...

So the book says, though getting it in through that small screw hole looks interesting 8-)

Greg

Reply to
Greg

|| Tom Woods wrote: ||| Is 10L enough? I'm sure i worked it out for a whole landy in the ||| past and it came to 14L or something. || || The previous owner seems to have kept most levels up and the oil is || clean and fresh so I'm not draining everything for the sake of it, || sadly the plug on the rear diff was seized so he had let that go || right down, just where it all went is presently a mystery... || ||| Should the steering thingy that goes through the very front ||| crossmember next to the radiator also have EP90 in it? || || So the book says, though getting it in through that small screw hole || looks interesting 8-) || || Greg

Take off two opposite bolts (one to let the air escape) and do it slowly. That's from the manual.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I did mine once and it all pissed straight out of the bottom. That was

5 years ago and it is still working despite being ignored since then!
Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:15:31 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

Mine's got what looks like a grease nipple in it, I noticed today. I had the grille off for essential work - replacing the hooter with a rather naff but functional klaxon I bought off ebay the other week. Mind, it was cheap, so can hardly complain too much if the trumpet bit is chrome plastic rather than metal.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The small bolts are the same thread as the grease nipples in your propshaft. take out two bolts from the top of the steering relay and borrow a grease nipple from a propshaft if you haven't got one spare. Screw it in (finger tight will do) and use grease gun filled with E.P 90 until oil comes out the other hole then replace bolts and grease nipple in prop. If you don't remove

*two* bolts the pressure will blow out the seals and you will have to remove the arms to replace them. Series ones used to have an oil filler plug at the side at the top.

Martin.

Reply to
Oily

On or around Tue, 22 Aug 2006 22:34:08 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

ah, that'll be where the grease nipple is on mine. although you can use an oil gun instead.

Reply to
Austin Shackles