GET READY FOR Watchdog !

On or around 26 Jan 2005 22:16:52 GMT, Adrian enlightened us thusly:

mind, yer 2CV is pretty bloody hopeless environmentally. hilarious motors, mind.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The point is it does'nt matter how much you do to the gallon it is the harmful crap you spew out and Most Landy are far more environmentally cleaner than a 2CV

Reply to
scorpio

scorpio ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I suggest you have a little read up on MOTs, emissions, and - if you're referring to the difference between petrol and diesel, particulates.

BTW - all my 2cvs have always passed the MOT WAAAAY within the emission limits. A good 'un will even get very close to the cat emission numbers.

Reply to
Adrian

scorpio composed the following;:

Sheeit, isn't this _JUST_ what the feckin' tree huggers want ?

4x4 owners arguing amongst themselves rather than realising we're _ALL_ tarred with the same brush anyway, whatever marque we drive. They don't understand the difference between a 4x4 2CV and a Landrover anyway, if it has 4x4 transmission (and yes, there _are_ 4x4 2CV's about) it's a 'gas-guzzler' and environmentally poor, in their eyes.

Personally I couldn't give a shit if someone drives a Landy, a 2CV a Jeep a Suzuki or whatever,[1] so long as they're doing it off-road and enjoying it, and the more people that do go legally off-road, the more power we all have to lobby for our pastime where it truly counts, in the ballot box, at whatever level.

[1] I _do_ dislike Mahindras though .. :)
Reply to
Paul - xxx

"Adrian" schreef in bericht news:Xns95EB940CE5FA7adrianachapmanfreeis@130.133.1.4

Not true in the case of the ennvironment. Wether you drive a 4x4 or not, it doesn't matter. Globally the ocean-going cathedral-sized ships are accountable for one third of the worlds atmospheric pollution. That is a fact and a big problem. Not the 4x4.

Reply to
aghasee

So Adrian was, like

My two (1 x 2CV6, 1 x Dyane) never did less than 50mpg, no matter how hard I towelled them.* I can't see why they should be any less environmentally friendly than any other non-cat petrol engine. They may not be very efficient, but then when you're towing round something that weighs as much as a large book, you don't have to be.

*And you have to. Only problem I ever had was driving in convoy on holiday with a guy who insisted on doing 25-30 everywhere. Knackered the plugs in two days. A mechanic friend commented: "You have to thrash these to get the best out of them. The French are not known for under-driving their cars." Green for go - no problems after that.
Reply to
Richard Brookman

Adrian composed the following;:

So what? Who gives a flying fart, other than the tree-huggers, who's

4x4 does what for the environment really? Most of the time we're tearing the ground up anyway (With Land-owners permission) so cackling among 'ourselves' as to whose is biggest, smallest, cleanest etc just throws us all into the environ-mentalists hands.

Which has what, and be as precise as you can be, to do with vehicle emissions?

My 4x4 doesn't pollute as much as my immediate neighbours 2wd

Selectable 4wd makes it a shit-load easier to steer on the road, as do fwh's, and they do increase economy, but still have f*ck all to do with emissions, other than as a by-product in that the engine is likely to be running under less load, so not using as much fuel. The engines still put out the same levels of emissions though ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I'm doing my bit for the environment - I run LPG ( nothing to do with cost of course) the V8 sounds bloody amazing now, had a guy build me a stainless exhaust,. awesome!!!

Reply to
StaffBull

StaffBull composed the following;:

Bastard ...

Heheheh ... I want a V8 for my Disco .. ;)

Reply to
The Caretaker ...

On or around Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:02:19 +0000, Rooney enlightened us thusly:

bugger, I didn't intend to get into this thread.

was ogling an XJS jag today. lovely motor. longer than the disco, just as wide, 5.3 petrol engine, sod-all to the gallon, and basically, really, it's a 2+2. Where does that come on the scale?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Politically acceptable, as endorsed by John Prescott.

Reply to
Rooney

Until the new ex-townie neighbour complains about the noise/mud/spoiled view there too. Just like the "lets buy this house next to this big airport dear, they're selling it really really cheap ...... and then we can complain like f*ck about the aircraft noise and form a close-the-airport pressure group". Yes townies, in the countryside stuff gets chased. Stuff gets eaten by other stuff. Stuff dies, often less than clinically cleanly or in an "animal hospital" environment. Cockerels crow at dawn. Combine harvesters run all hours, often well after dusk. Landrovers are used for what they're best at. Oh yes, and shit stinks.

I feel much better now.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

You forgot that the bonnet design is such that it probably slices pedestrians in half.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh, you mean Sting.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Steve composed the following;:

LOL

Reply to
The Caretaker ...

Paul - xxx ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The point is NOT off-roaders used off-road. It's "Chelsea Tractors".

Clue, Paul :- If the engine has to work so much harder to move the vehicle, that takes power. Power that has to be created. By burning fuel.

My everyday car is a big car. By car standards, it's heavy. It's HALF the weight of the new Disco.

Reply to
Adrian

Steve ( snipped-for-privacy@deletemefirst.zord.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Reply to
Adrian

Which doesn't equate to more pollution.

But what are its emissions like?

Reply to
Rooney

Rooney ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So what happens to that burnt fuel, then?

Not far off those of a Honda CR-V. Which is a much smaller vehicle.

Reply to
Adrian

How much fuel and how treated? Heavier cars don't necessarily use more fuel. Modern 4x4s use less fuel than many older and not so old 4x2s, and clean up the waste products better too. I get the same mpg from a

4x4 weighing 2 tonnes as I got from the little car I had 4 years ago, and it's cleaner.

You mean more? Or less?

Reply to
Rooney