GET READY FOR Watchdog !

StaffBull composed the following;:

Mine's a '97 Disco 300 Tdi 3 door .. methinks I need a new exhaust, or part of .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

You'll need the middle silencer and tail pipe.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

  • The energy consumption in MAKING of the new cars to replace the ones taken out of the roads.

I recently bought a 86' Rangie (3.5 EFI) and paid special attention to buying a GOOD ;) old car which could serve me for years still. I don't pay any attention to the so called "lesser" emissions by new smaller cars since building a new car is a huge effort naturewise! Energy and natural resources are consumed in vast amounts in that process. Of course you've got to consider some major cities having problems with smog - there it is justified to have a newer lesser polluting car. But at least here in the outbacks of Europe, in the middle of the forests, the pollution per se does not matter. In some sence, I think that an important stakeholder in this polluting business is the automobile industry. It is in their interest to sell new cars and they have find a way to market them.

Yup!

Of course 4x4s pollute more, and the older the cars, the more emissions they have. But we've got to consider the big picture to REALLY save (not the planet, it will survive us) the human "civilization".

I justify my Rangie by a real need of a 4x4 - not for fun. It's for my work. I'm a research scientist studying the global climate change and forests in Finland. So I think know something about pollution and global warming. ;)

Sorry 'bout the English, I'm not a native speaker. ;)

-TimoV

"Pain degreases as nerve damage accumulates" anonymous physiologist timo.*THISISCRAP*veteli@joens(CRAPTOO)uu.fi

Reply to
Elmo Vietti

beamendsltd composed the following;:

Cheers, Richard .. do you have any, and what price, roughly. :)

Seriously, the back box on mine has been 'bashed' a couple of times and the end pipe is corroded. The middle silencer is held on with some metal banda-strap (whatever it's called) .. ;)

Reply to
The Caretaker ...

beamendsltd composed the following;:

Thanks, I'll check your site out.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Don't mention the 2CV, I did once, but I think I got away with it!!!!!

Reply to
StaffBull

In message , Dougal writes

Hand Throttle hard over to the right.

Reply to
hugh

Dave White (davew snipped-for-privacy@yorkshireoffroadclub.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No point in owning one otherwise....

Reply to
Adrian

I need mine to take the kids to school!

Reply to
Rooney

Rooney ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Why a 4x4? Why not a car or - if there's a lot of kids - a people carrier?

Reply to
Adrian

People carrier? Where would my street cred be?!? The desired feeling of superiority can only be had in a 4x4. It also comes in handy for taking the horses to shows and camping in wild places.

Reply to
Rooney

On or around 30 Jan 2005 22:13:55 GMT, Adrian enlightened us thusly:

I'd like to see a people-carrier cope with the route I do taking kids to school (not mine, paid w*rk for the council). Complete with about 10 miles a day on unsurfaced road.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

4x4 People Carrier such as the Espace?
Reply to
hugh

*Do* they? What problem do they cause that a large saloon or MPV does not also cause?

-- Steve

Reply to
Steve Hunt

Maybe. But the problem is legislation to tackle the perceived problems that some people claim "Chelsea Tractors" cause will very likely impact people who own off-roaders to use off road. Except perhaps ones used solely and truly off road (not registered for the road, not even used on PROW, not even used for an *occasional* errand in town, etc etc).

-- Steve

Reply to
Steve Hunt

It's their height, man! They are higher. They take up more air.

Reply to
Rooney

On or around Fri, 04 Feb 2005 00:46:40 +0000, Rooney enlightened us thusly:

Actually, I reckon it's jealousy on the part of those whose garage is too small to put one in.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Have a look at Jeep Cherokee alongside almost any MPV - which is taller?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Rooney blithered:

With respect sir, they are unlikely to be as high or indeed as large as your average bus! Which does more damage a DPV, HGV, or Bus?

Reply to
GbH

I really doubt jealousy comes into it.

In my opinion there are a lot of people who just want to be "against something". And perhaps more importantly want to be *seen* to be against whatever it's currently thought fashionable to be against by their peer group. They latch onto anything that can be readily villified. Minority activities are always a good target because the mass of population has at best a hazy grasp of the real issues (if any) and can easily be led into accepting an extremely biassed view.

-- Steve

Reply to
Steve Hunt