disco winter tyres ?

hi, i have a 2001 td5 disco with 255 michelin 4X4 synchrone tyres. is it worth to buy winter wheels and if, what tyres do you recommend ? i drive almost all the time on roads and no heavy off road at all.

thank you in advance for any information

reinhard

ps : sorry about my english, but i am from austria and so my mother language is german

Reply to
Reinhard

Sorry, I know nothing about snow tyres.

But I will say that your English is better than that of most English people on Usenet. And that's before you factor in ex-colonials :-)

Reply to
QrizB

They wear well, handle well on dry roads, and last. Studs are an added bonus. Rovers are not generally sure-footed snow vehicles, a decent set of snows will tame the beast.

Reply to
JPF

On or around Tue, 16 Dec 2003 23:00:44 GMT, "Reinhard" enlightened us thusly:

I didn't notice, so your English must be up to the normal standard in here, not that that's saying a lot :-)

erm... tyres.

found the synchrones pretty good on our disco, though we don't seem to get much in the way of snow these days. As regards ice, it's only worth having different tyres if you can fit studs. Snow's funny stuff - tends to stick in the treads whatever you have - I'd reckon a more aggressive tread, something maybe like the BFG AT or Pirelli Scorpion AT (the latter is very grippy on wet roads) or for a cheaper one the nankang wide conqueror. The other thing you might look at is tyre width - your 255s are fairly wide, and maybe a 235/70 would cut through the snow etc better. Our TDi disco is still on 205s, but that's mainly 'cos they were on it when we got it. Probably got to 235/70 next time, mainly cos they look better :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
Viviane