Green machine

Soon to respray my 90, looking for a silk finish rather than a gloss (to better hide the little blemishes) and was going to plump for Deep Bronze Green, but that only comes in gloss. Nato Green comes in silk - how does this compare with DBG as I can't find a colour chart online? Has anyone used this colour/finish? Results?

TIA

Reply to
Fentoozler

AFAIK, the painter can add a flattening agent to get the gloss off. Stephen Hull will comment shortly....

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

On or around Fri, 5 Aug 2005 22:03:26 +0100, "Fentoozler" enlightened us thusly:

NATO green is considerably more khaki than DBG.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If you go to a professional paint factors, they should be able to make any given color in any finish and paint type you want.

Nato Green is a supposedly standard colour, which seems to be slightly different from every supplier (see some of the different colors of vehicles on Nato exercises, supposedly all in the same colour). It is quite unlike Deep Bronze Green, especially some of the batches i've had, in which the colors vary significantly. I recently had two tins of German Army surplus Nato Green, which was considerably lighter than nato green should ever be. I ended up adding to the paint to darken the color to get it nearer.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I am indeed :)

You can purchase DBG including the matting agent from the same paint factor and you can either add the matting agent yourself progressively until you reach the desired level of gloss, or (better still) get the paint factor to do it for you because they will know exactly what ratio of matting agent to add to your paint which will range from a dead flat dull finish to a semi-gloss.

Any paint colour can be made in mat or gloss from source.

I'd recommend semi-gloss because matt is too flat and difficult to clean and keep clean. Semi-gloss or satin is a happy medium, it's easy to clean looks good and doesn't show up all the imperfections.

However there are three shades of DBG to choose from

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Thanks for all your advice - any online resources for this paint (Anchor seems to stock many colours, but I can't find anyone offering the 'dulling' additive/service, or the 3 different shades of DBG)?

Alternatively, any suppliers known of in North / West Norfolk?

TIA (again)!

Reply to
Fentoozler

The matting agent should be readily available at any paint mixing factor, as will the DBG colour variants.

Anchor supplies AFAIK only sell paint they do not actually mix it so they won't have the necessary components for paint mixing including matting agents.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull