Help: Cooling system Def 110 TD5

Happy Easter to all of you.

Checked the water level in the morning. When touring I top up with 1.5 litres of water every day. Never noticed where the water was escaping to. Only had the engine overheating once because of a lack of water.

Cruising along I noticed loosing power. 5 Seconds later the engine cut off and could not be restarted. Coolant temperature seemed to be fine. On opening the bonnet I noticed the engine block smoking because of intense heat. After a while I tried to restart but all I got was a whining, humming noise I have never heard before, not coming from the engine, but from somewhere in the engine compartment.

One hour later I got towed 4 miles into the next little village. I filled in

9 (!) litres of water. Engine could be started and sounded fine. A few seconds later high pressure develops in the top up tank and I switch off.

There is no moisture on the oil dip stick and the exhaust is bone dry. I check for the thermostat and find it is not there. (I conclude the previous owner must have had temperature problems and removed it. This also explains the long time the engine needs to reach running temperature.)

It looks like the cooling system is blocked somewhere. Before I have the Landy towed to Land Rover for repairs (waiting list is 3 to 4 weeks long!) I would like to listen to your valued thoughts, opinions and advice.

Many thanks for your time, Uli

Defender 110 TD5 2000 model, bought in August 2004

Reply to
Uli

Managed to download a repair manual (in German) and discovered, that the thermostat is in a different location then I was told. The thermostat is present. I have removed it and found it contained many rust particles of grain size, blocking at least one of the four little holes.

My question: How can I test the extracted thermostat whether it functions correctly?

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
Uli

Don't you just put them in a pan of boiling water and see if they open? or just buy another as they are cheap?

Reply to
Nigel

Stick it in a pan of water and heat it up over the stove and see if it opens. If you have a suitable thermometer you can see what temperature this happens at and compare it to the one stamped on the thermostat/in the manual. This also cleans them up quite well!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Thank you, Nigel and Tom. Did as you said and thermostat works fine.

Reply to
Uli