HELP ***Wanted 90 Gearbox 1990 H reg

Help I need a good working order gearbox after my gave up with an expensive sounding grating noise and lost all drive in all gears!! Would consider engine and box local to Huddersfield..... PS any idea why it went crunch at only 98,000miles !!

Thanks,

M4CKK

Reply to
M4CKK
98,000 miles is about average life for an LT77 manual gearbox (with a 'commercial driver' anyway) and very often less if it is one of the earlier 200tdi engines with no lubrication to the output shaft splines. If you lost drive in all gears I would suspect output shaft, was there quite a clunk on take up of drive prior to the failure? Fergus
Reply to
Fergus Kendall

SNIP

The clutch parts e.g. bearing, plate and cover can be sourced from Paddock for about £65.80 plus carriage.

Its worth doing the clutch if you have to change the box. I picked up a used LT77 + Transfer box for about £125 by posting to just about every LR group and forum on the web. Then allow yourself a whole weekend and hire an engine crane if you don't already have one. I did all of mine on my own but I would imagine its a lot easier with two of you.

If its just the clutch that's gone, its much easier to remove the engine than it is to remove the g-box.

Best of luck

Spencer

Reply to
Spencer

"Fergus Kendall" wrote in news:bhbqfa$10aq19$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-176917.news.uni-berlin.de:

That is a nasty shock! I thought these things went on almost indefinitely if properly lubricated? OK, I accept there will be problems if there is a design fault, but..

At least, that was the reply I got back from an engineering forum when I posted a question about my Pug 504 being returned to me by the garage with no oil in the gear box! The garage claimed it would be OK as the whine wasn't that loud!! I made them fit a good secondhand box and also made a note not to use them again.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue