Gearbox woes - HELP

Hi All, I seem to have lost 4th gear on the Range Rover gearbox. LT77, 200Tdi. %th is also hard to engage. It was fine last night, just had the problem when I went to get 4th for the first time this morning.

However, i just wnet out now, and forced the box into 4th and 5th again and it seems to have "loosened up" anyone got any ideas? =A3500 for a recon box and 200 to change it is not appealing at the moment!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

How did the clutch feel?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

cluch is fine. I've had clutches go before and prety sure it's not that. I hope. I know it had a clutch 10K ago too. Ther gear selection has always been a bit sloppy mind. It's the kind of box you need to get "used to". All appears to be working again. I reskon it might be a worn selector shaft

Reply to
Dave R

On or around 9 Mar 2006 02:27:27 -0800, "Dave R" enlightened us thusly:

last one I had changed was a good bit more than 200 for labour. Mind, the garage bloke was taking the piss, or his mechanic was - tried to say it was

24 hours labour. Bollocks. I could do it meself in less than that without a frigging lift.

But even so, if you know where to get it changed for 200 notes, you're doing well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I now seem to only have R,1,3, and 5. Second and Fourth now dissapeareed. Any words of wisdom?

Reply to
Dave R

On or around 9 Mar 2006 06:14:45 -0800, "Dave R" enlightened us thusly:

does the lever move to the respective positions, or will it only go in certain places?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

the gears are where they are supposed to be(ish) it's just that different ones go missing! It was 4th this morning that went awol, and then 5th, then 4th and 5th. After that , i forced it into gear and then all 5 worked perfectly (or at least as perfectly as it ususally does). The mistake I went was driving to look at a P38 and the box buggered up only leaving me with R,1,3,and 5. Got to be a selector problem hasn't it? I spoke to LEGS, extremely helpful. They reckoned to get a repair DIY kit =A3150 and rebuild as the gears are usually ok. Sounds a good deal to me. And they said they would help over the phone as much as I needed.

Am i looking at a rebuild or a kust a selector problem. If i remember correctly, the selectors are all in the back of the gearbox at the top in which case it means it's got to come out anyway!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

"Dave R" wrote in news:1141900047.107930.147930 @e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Are you sure it is not the springs at the bottom of the lever (external to the gear box) that need adjusting?

These "assist" selection. I found a web site that explained it, but have lost the URL.

Remove the trim at the bottom of the gear lever until you see two springs. There are a couple of bolts which adjust the tension in these springs. You play around with those until the selector works correctly. It is no big deal.

Of course, it may not be that, but it is a lot cheaper to check than replacing the gear box! So far, I have owned two Land Rovers and both have had to be adjusted. But there are wiser heads on here than mine....

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Well, I can be honest with you, I really hope it is!!

I sold the spare LT77 I had last week to a mate of mine, who stripped it for 4th gear. so I have the selector mechanism to swap straight over. (Fingers crossed!)

It will only take me a few mins to whip the top off the box and have a look see. I might even swap them over and pray. I spoke to a very helpful guy in LEGS tofay who will happily sell me a DIY kit with all the bearing etc and will probably recon the box myself. Using both sets of innard if needs be.

Thanks for optimistic view!! I'll keep you informed!!

Reply to
Dave R

It sounds very much like one or more of the selector bias springs and/or the bias adjuster plate has broken:

FRC9340 Plate FRC9390 Bias Spring - 1st/2nd FRC8490 Bias Spring - 5th

and/or possibly the Nylon bush at the bottom of the stick FRC9985

Fingers crossed!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Cheers Richard,

Now for the $1,000,000 question. Can this be acessed without removing the box competely. I have a spare gearstick, selector assembly?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

In Defender & Discovery - yes, not certain about Range Rover - I'd assume access can be gained by removing the centre console - but then I can't just picture the Range Rover set up at the moment!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

"Dave R" wrote in news:1141900047.107930.147930 @e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

See page six of the site below. The adjuster bolts are items 5 and 6.

Also items 8 on page 8.

Instructions for adjustment of the tension on the bias springs for correct gear selection are on page 38.

Also,
Hope that's what the problem is!!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Link didn't work for me i'm afraid

Reply to
Dave R

I know that I can access the gearlever part through the top. you have to take out the cubby box and gear surround etc. What I wasn't sure of was which bits you meant. I now realise that you mean the parts near the lever - Phew!

I had a horrible feeling that FRC9985 was in the gubbins of the box.

If the weather stays half decent then I will try and start delving in and let you all know on Monday!

Many thanks to all,

Dave

Reply to
Dave R