1991 Disco f/wheel bearings?

My 1991 2.5tdi Disco needs new wheel bearings as they are rattling I have ordered the new parts and read the haynes manual. I need to know what size those two big nuts are that lock onto the stub axle and do I need to measure the end float as the book says with a DTI. or is it fair to just tighten it and release it a little? Thanks for the help. Gary

Reply to
GAZ1012

52mm

I've used the tighten and release a bit but would be interested if anyone can explain the correct method.

Ed

To reply, remove my appendix

Reply to
Ed

The correct method (applies to all Landrovers, Rangerovers and Discoveries, I think) simply involves measuring the free play with a dial gauge bolted to the hub and with the probe against the hub. Free play should be 0.1mm to

0.15mm. In practice tightening them until you can just feel movement after the locknut is tightened seems to be just as good. JD
Reply to
JD