HID Lights

I can't work out these lights, there is only one power connection that goes onto existing connections at the headlamp, so the whole lot is running from one power source. I can't see that being a problem, but the headlamp monitor will be bollocksed for the headlamp that isn't giving power to the set?

It has a box of tricks that needs battery power too, what the hell is it? I might knock this idea on the head.

Reply to
Nige

The "box of tricks" is the ballast, starter etc which is necessary to get the HID lamps to work - they are not like normal bulbs, where you just pass a current throught a filament. They are nearer to flourescent tubes in the way they work. The connector to your existing headlamp is simply used to activate the unit, the main power feed to the lamps is the one that goes direct into the unit from the battery. It should have an in-line fuse.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

hehe - it's got the ballasts as well matey, it has a deffo box of tricks, but only one connection point to the original headlamp bulbs, not two as i reckon it should.

Mainly as it wont register on the becm as a working bulb, but this set is P38 friendly apparently.

Reply to
Nige

Not really they are an arc lamp rather than a flourescent.

Has some nice information about HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights. Pay particular attention to the handling notes. DO NOT touch the quartz envelope with your bare fingers or if you do be scrupilous at degreasing with a lint free cloth and alcohol. Failure to do so will seriously shorten the bulb life and possibly cause an explosive failure.

I suspect that Nige has two (four?) boxes as the ballast that provides the regulated running power is seperate to the starter which needs to produce around 23,000V to strike the initial arc in a cold lamp.

The other thing to be aware of is that when hot they might not re-strike, though they do seem to be working on hot strike bubbles/starters these days.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Nige

found this it may be of help to you, or it may not

different car i know.

Reply to
vertuas

Do RHM sell these? :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Reply to
Lee_D

May be someone has done this conversion on here.

Reply to
Lee_D

Nige> Mainly as it wont register on the becm as a working bulb, Nige> but this set is P38 friendly apparently.

If it only takes power from one side, it won't work on the P38A without giving bulb failure messages. From memory, I'm also not convinced the BeCM can handle the extra power. I'd get your money back if I were you.

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB

In a DII at least the BeCM doesn't do any power switching it tells the interior fuse box what to turn on and off. HID lights, when running, take less power than tungsten halogen... Around 35W rather than the more normal

55W. Just 'cause they is brighter doesn't mean they take more juice. What they take when starting is another matter...

Has Nige a link to the kit he has on the makers web site?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice