horible noise on 90 underneeth

ok ill try and explain i have got a horrible noise under my 200 tdi 90 when i get to 70 mph and let off the throttle gently it happens for a few seconds sounds like a baring grumble but worse ive changed the back diff/prop joints/rear bearings and it still does it

it is ok when the power is on its just on overrun it does the noise please help im ment to be going to France on the 23 of this month

snipped-for-privacy@orange.net

Reply to
BELL AUTO SERVICES

Is the prop/s worn? Sounds like slack in the splines between the front and rear... used to get the same on Percy till I put new props on.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Make sure the prop bolts haven't worked loose too - otherwise you'll get a lovely big bang soon... Have you checked out the front prop - remember it's full time 4x4.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Warner

My guess is your front prop,Or a bit of crap lodged in the handbrake drum.

Reply to
bones

My 90 did a similar thing but mainly at low speeds, turned out that the handbrake actuator had partially ceased on making1 shoe skip against the drum, this combined with slack in the rear prop splenes set up a hell of a rattle in the transfer box/transmission system at certain speeds when off the power. It'd be worth taking the handbrake drum off to check nothing is stuck or has come lose. Hope this helps, Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

Pull the front diff - that would be my first step since you've already replaced the back. Of course check the propshaft first but my money is on the diff

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

But only after having removed the front prop and put it in diff lock and taken for another run...

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D