Which should I buy

I am torn between which Landover I should buy. A 1995 Range Rover with 130k for $7995, or a 1997 Discovery with 99k for $8995. I don't do any off roading but need the SUV for light towing and the ice and snow during the winter.

Reply to
Silent Warrior

Twas Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:55:32 GMT when "Silent Warrior" put finger to keyboard producing:

in my opinion, if you never go off-road and only do light towing I'd say Range Rover.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:55:32 GMT, "Silent Warrior" enlightened us thusly:

I'm with David French on this, the RR is basically a good-sized 5-seater station wagon, while the disco is more of an MPV.

so it really depends on how many kids/dogs/etc you have.

also a '95 RR will be a P38, which makes it much more complex to maintain than the disco which is basically a RR classic in drag, albeit with some extra bells and whistles.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not necessarily - there are some M-reg Classics about. But yes, I'd say the Disco will probably fit the brief admirably. It depends entirely on the condition of each car.

All things being equal condition-wise I'd choose the Range Rover Classic and spend the extra grand on fettling the engine and air suspension. If the Range Rover is a P38 I'd go for the Disco.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

But, this is north america (assumed as prices quoted in $ and not £) would a 97 disco be of better spec than a 95 RR?

personally, I would "park" them side by side, and see which gave me the most in terms of spec, then drive them and see which gives me the biggest grin. If its the same one on both counts, buy it. If there is a difference of opinion, what do you want - toys or driving experience.

I'm biased though, if it were my money I would go for the RR because

a) its cheaper b) thats $1000 of extra toys (after all, if the disco is in budget then you had better spend the bunce on the car!) c) after a nasty experience of driving, sorry no wrong word - sailing a disco 1 (it was a k plate and had the worst body roll i have ever encountered) i've never liked them, and not really got over my dislike.

thats my dimes worth

Si

Reply to
simonk

Another consideration should be the rear tailgates on the Rangie, they make a nice bench are handy for hanging stuff out the back if the need arises. On the Disco the rear door is next to useless. It not only has the Wheel handing off it but its very difficult opening and closing with a trailer on the back unless it's a really low down trailer. UK Dolly wheels seem to be the bigest PITA but thats just my opinion.. Of course you do gain seating and spare wheel space within the disco. That said it's feasible to mount 2 rear facing kiddie seats in the back of a Rangie but I wouldn't be putting my kids in this space having seen a rear ended Rangie at the local breakers yard. In fairness I think it was hit by a wagon but put me right off the idea all the same.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Twas Sun, 18 Apr 2004 08:45:50 +0100 when Mr.Nice. put finger to keyboard producing:

looks like I'm alone on this one then

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I'd agree with Tim on this one - if its a classic I'd choose the RR. If a P38, i'd walk away. They're just not reliable enough, and were another poor design job from LR ... I'm guessing they'll both be V8 autos, so there's no worry about fuel consumption to support the disco. Unless you need the two tiny rear seats, a late classic would be a better choice and cost less too... Avoid the P38!!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Warner