How to change the power steering fluid

On or around Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:42:11 GMT, "Julian" enlightened us thusly:

*perk*

wonder if I can get one... tracking device is on my list of wants.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've heard good things about them from various lists, driving one tyre over it tells you the correction to apply to both wheels on that axle, so no need to use it on all your wheels.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yes very good indeed, if anyone says they are crap then it's most likely that they don't have the intuition to use it properly! Follow, or improve on their instructions and you won't go wrong. I think you can buy them direct from Gunsons online, Frost is normally pretty dear.

BTW, you don't need to check both wheels on a axle. When you've got the tracking correct then (by default) both wheels will give the same reading on the Trackrite, on the Disco you only have one adjustment for tracking anyway. On normal cars you need to make equal adjustments to both track control arms otherwise you may have to reposition the steering wheel afterwards.

The Trackrite will do front axle tracking and rear axle tracking (obviously not applicable to Discos!) but it wont do front to rear tracking, you can however resort to bits of string or laser pen pointers for this though...

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

If you want it set parallel (and the rear axle is fixed thus) can't you do it by running a tight string right round all four tyres. When it just touches the rims all the way round you've got it...

Or am I missing something?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

In the way that you described it - yes. The tyres stick out beyond the rims!

But if you use the tyres themselves at hub height it should work (I use the tyres with my 'stick') and avoids the not uncommon problem of damaged rims. If you want to be really pedantic there's probably also a requirement for identical tyres, equally loaded/inflated on rims with identical offset.

Reply to
Dougal

||| I agree, I've just renewed both swivels and pin bearings on my ||| knackered old Disco and set the tracking with my Gunsons 'Tracrite' ||| [1]tool || || *perk*

And me.

Austin, do you fancy going halves on one?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I guess also that the width of both axels would have to be the same or you'd need to make up some spacers perhaps.

One of the (claimed) advantages of the Trackrite is that you measure tracking in the dynamic situation, ie you slowly drive over the gauge using engine power in just the same way as you drive down the road. This, in theory, produces a result better than the traditional methods, I can't offer an opinion on this but the Tracrite certainly works.

Julian. (sounding like a salesman now!)

Reply to
Julian

On or around Sat, 08 Jul 2006 08:37:56 GMT, "Julian" enlightened us thusly:

I've seen 'em for sale online for about 50 notes. there are several on eBay an' all.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 08 Jul 2006 11:03:39 GMT, "Julian" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, I might buy one... it does look a handy bit of kit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 8 Jul 2006 11:58:13 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

the trakrite thing is not all that pricey - I've been looking at the kind with lights and mirrors, and they tend to go a couple of hundred on eBay second hand and cost 4-500 new, which is much more than I could justify for something I only need rarely.

The local garage have a much simpler thing which is a hollow ally section about 1/2" square with 2 cranked ends which slide into it, suitably calibrated and with position for clamping the ends in place - this you just use like a ruler to measure between the wheels. But so far I can't find anyone selling such a device. I did find something a bit like from a US supplier.

Trakrites on eBay - dunno if it's worth it though, they're only about 50 quid new, and I imagine it's quite possible for an old one to be worn or something.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| the trakrite thing is not all that pricey - I've been looking at the || kind with lights and mirrors, and they tend to go a couple of || hundred on eBay second hand and cost 4-500 new,

I'll take that as a no, then!

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:46:27 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

well, not exactly a no. I've not really given it much thought, as yet, beyond scouting around ebay looking.

might be a bit tricky going halves on something like that - there's a fair bit of scenery between us.

Reply to
Austin Shackles