Land Rover strike

OK, so whose Land Rover came out in sympathy this morning?

Rich RR 4.6 HSE Tiggrr 3.5 V8 trialler

Reply to
Richard Brookman

in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Richard Brookman at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote on 26/1/04 4:06 pm:

Well the Discovery has a very flat tyre, the Series 3 has still got a broken rear half shaft, the Lightweight hasn't been anywhere today as Bruce has misplaced the one and only ignition key and the Range Rover just about started this morning when I took the kids to school and cut out three times as I slowed down. I am just glad that I had the common sense to park the car so it was facing a downwards slope, as I had to jump start it after I had abandoned our youngest at his class room.

Do any of the above count?

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

|| in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Richard || Brookman at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote on 26/1/04 4:06 pm: || ||| OK, so whose Land Rover came out in sympathy this morning? ||| ||| Rich ||| RR 4.6 HSE ||| Tiggrr 3.5 V8 trialler || || Well the Discovery has a very flat tyre, the Series 3 has still got || a broken rear half shaft, the Lightweight hasn't been anywhere today || as Bruce has misplaced the one and only ignition key and the Range || Rover just about started this morning when I took the kids to school || and cut out three times as I slowed down. I am just glad that I had || the common sense to park the car so it was facing a downwards slope, || as I had to jump start it after I had abandoned our youngest at his || class room. || || Do any of the above count? || || || -- || Nikki || || 1990 Discovery V8i || 1985 Range Rover V8 || 1975 88" Series III 2.25 petrol || 1979 Series III Lightweight 2.25 petrol

Did any of the vehicles complain about parity with the Jaguar in next door's driveway?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

"Richard Brookman" >

Did any of the vehicles complain about parity with the Jaguar in next door's

Percy being half Jaguar stayed on the fence so to speak today.

Given the fact the quality of a genunie Landrovers hardly meets that of Jaguar construction I'd stay with poo quality and pay them the going rate.... 6.5 % over two years aint bad... after all if they pay them any more then they will be wanting £110 plus VAT for Landrover top hoses too.

When the workmanship is equal then they have a fair argument but until then pay them peanuts cos even monkeys could bolt pannels on crooked.

Have the employees also forgotten that Landrover are looking to go overseas to open up in Japan producing Landies? ... all we need is a customer services centre in India and that would be a real improvement ... come to think of it they could even publish the contact details too.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Or is it more a case of the workforce coming out in symapthy with their previous products?

Steering toward a slightly more serious spin on this. There are valid sides to this dispute from both the Unions and employers.

AIUI, the employers were prepared to offer parity with Jaguar workers on pay but also required that LR workers accept the same conditions, which would mean changing working practices and holiday entitlements.

The Unions were initially happy with this, but didn't want long serving workers to lose their accrued holiday entitlement.

There's lots more, which will probably be reported if any media bod cares to pull themselves away from Hutton and Student Fees...

Essentially, it's all got to the point where 'backs are up', and both sides need a little 'taking aside'.

I firmly believe there is no foundation to the rumour that Senior Ford Executives have manipulated the dispute as a ploy to justify the closure of the Solihull plant (in 2010) and Gaydon R&D facility (in

2014) as they have become economically unviable in a global manufacturing marketplace - especially given that the dispute will undermine inward investment...

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

I'll agree so far...

Also my understanding. Hardly unreasonable. I think Ford are much happier with the labour relations at Jaguar than at Land Rover. The decision to build Freelander at Halewood is a sign of that.

Or sensed that they could actually get a bit more. More money and more publicity. I think most union activists conform to a (stereo)type. Politically ambitious, chip on shoulder, eager to get up the blood of their less astute followers. John Prescott and Andy Gilchrist immediately spring to mind as recent examples.

Interesting angle. I don't think Ford really care about justifying such decisions, and I certainly don't think that they would engineer lost production and damaged image in 2004 for a decision they might take in 2010.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Mine did. I towed it to the sin bin this afternoon (well, outside the old man's place for a battery change)

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I thought your batteries were in superb condition...

(cheap shot but I couldn't resist...) :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Oh I don't know... most business decisions of this scale and nature are planned at least 10 years in advance. Politically sensitive stuff needs long term management. As I said, I firmly believe there is no foundation behind it, though.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

in article bv3oju$nipkm$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-108243.news.uni-berlin.de, Richard Brookman at snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote on 26/1/04 7:08 pm:

They've got an ancient Mini

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

My Landie is obviosly a scab then, which is surprising considering she was made in the era of the notorios Red Robbo.

Reply to
Larry

Very cheap Martyn. The battery was in excellent condition, I suspect the Alternator isn't. And when I've got round to putting it on the charger it will be again.

Anyway, the 2.6 doesn't like these cold snaps, it becomes a bitch to start. The 2.25 seems to like the colder weather, so I'm using that at the moment. Downside is, it doesn't have a heater at all.

Alex

Reply to
Alex