I got stuck tonight....

Well ever so ever so nearly...

Was driving home from work, on a dual carriageway with no hard shoulder.

Mobile rings - To be on the safe side, i thought id pull over and answer it. Pulled off the road, onto the grass at the side.

After a 5 min phone call, tried to go - no joy.

Turns out i had sunk. About 6inch on all 4 wheels. Bugger. All 4 wheels spinning.

Took me about 15mins of low range/diff lock, backwards and forwards, lock to lock to eventually crawl off the verge.

Would have been well c*ck'd in a car.. Mind it probably wouldnt have sunk.

Moral - Drive when using a mobile! Only kidding :)

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:23:22 +0000, Mark Solesbury scribbled the following nonsense:

given the rain we've had here in Peterborough, and the silt/clay soil, I'm keeping away from mud at the mo, even my allotment which is extremely free draining is very sticky!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Simon Isaacs uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Looks like it's going to be most moist tonight too. :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

shoulder.

Why didn't you get your sand ladders down and use them, or hail a passing Elephant for a tug?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Mark Solesbury wrote

I got stuck...well and truly!

Charles Sweeney

well - slap me sideways with a kipper.

Hello Charles, good to see you over here :)

Mind out though, the corridors of AFL are crawling with IT experts!

Reply to
William Tasso

William Tasso wrote

Shit! I forgot you were here!

Reply to
Charles Sweeney

LOL -

William Tasso

So did I, on the old tyres. Went through this bit twice, on the third go I stalled it and couldn't pull away again.

Ian Rawlings

William Tasso wrote

:o)

Reply to
Charles Sweeney

Ian Rawlings wrote

Yikes!

You're into Sticky-the-stick-insect-stuck-to-a-sticky-bun territory there!

Excellent pics.

Reply to
Charles Sweeney

Yes, the chassis was just beginning to touch the mud. The pinz was the only vehicle to get through that bit, I got stuck showing off when I stalled it.

The tyres were s**te, the rear set had 3mm of tread on them, the rest didn't have much better, the new tyres have 20mm of tread which should do for now! That mud was very gloopy, I think it was a case of the wheels not getting enough grip to push their own way through the mud, the chassis wasn't really dragging enough to cause a problem.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

pah!

wouldn't happen in a 101.... 101 would still be at the petrol station.

;-)

Reply to
Lee_D

Heh, I only get 13 MPG out of it so I'd be in the queue behind you!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Fri, 1 Dec 2006 04:21:24 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

I trust you'll go back and test the new tyres there?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I expect so, the site's quite good, there's a load of pictures there of the rest of the site so as you can see it's more than just a mud pie. There's a FoDRoW event over xmas, I might test them out on that first although it's a long drive to get there. I'll have to see if there are any closer off-road event tracks in the area, I never really took the landy to any in this area as I know what it can do, but I'm still getting used to the pinz.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

OK.... whats FoDRoW? I keep trying to make sense of it but the word for all occasions doesn't seem to fit the start ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

: >> I trust you'll go back and test the new tyres there? : >

: > I expect so, the site's quite good, there's a load of pictures there : > of the rest of the site so as you can see it's more than just a mud : > pie. There's a FoDRoW event over xmas, I might test them out on that : > first although it's a long drive to get there. I'll have to see if : > there are any closer off-road event tracks in the area, I never really : > took the landy to any in this area as I know what it can do, but I'm : > still getting used to the pinz : : OK.... whats FoDRoW? I keep trying to make sense of it but the word for all : occasions doesn't seem to fit the start ;-)

Friends of Dorset Rights of Way I believe (based on one of the banners in one of Ians other recent pics)

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

Yep,

a good group, hopefully I'll be able to participate a little more next year than I did this year. They do clearances, RoW research, camping trips, events on public tracks and private land and of course laning trips.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ian Rawlings uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Ah a bit like CRAG

then only local. All good whatever the name. :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D