Lifted Disco 1 clearance question

Now this is really odd, after fitting a 2" lift kit and some 235/85/16 MT's The drivers side front wheel/tyre has plenty of clearance on lock but the passenger side fouls the plastic sill trim??? The car also pulls to the left a bit, seems as though something is really out of alignment, any ideas what it could be?

Andy

1993 Discovery V8i
Reply to
Andy

Andy uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Have you fitted castor correcting radius arms?

Also the steering will be a bit tighter (for want of a better description) than before as the link arm from the box to the first hub will be inclined further now. Basically don't expect the steering wheel to be in the same place for forwards motion. As for the fouling, just tweak the lock stops to prevent the fouling. What wheels are you working with?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Andy came up with the following;:

Which Lift Kit did you use?

We're looking at doing ours in '07 ... and a mate's already done it with (I think) a Scorpion kit, but he's had similar problems, had to fit cardon (sp?) shafts, longer hoses, radius correction arms, wider UJ's etc etc. Thought it'd only cost him £300 ish, he spent about £1000 and he's still not too happy with it ... :(

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Wheel are modular 7x16's, the fouling is on the sills so the lock stop won't affect it and it's only on one side. Been advised to check the radius arms and bushes.

Reply to
Andy

Remember that as the wheels move further from the chassis, the panard rod will be pulling the wheels to one side, and as they raise, push to the other... maybe why the left is an issue with it raised. MT Aussie RRTurboD

Reply to
MT

Yep, ISTR that from 2" and upward a longer panhard rod is needed. The original rod keeps the whole show straight and true, but as you lift the suspension the geometry gets further and further out of whack, loading the steering in one direction. A 1" lift won't be affected enough to notice, but 2" and above you get into trouble. Steering to one side is exactly what I would expect from this. I think Scorpion do an adjustable rod for this application.

DaveP

Reply to
Dave P

Andy uttered summat worrerz funny about:

May be your offset is too much then... as in they are too deeply dished hence fouling the sills.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Just read the other replies... go along the panhard rod route first!

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D