I love backyard "engineering"....

The rear diff was a little leaky on the mongrel. So I cleaned off the inch of crap, cleaned out and tightened the drain plug.

Once the crap was out of the I noticed that the diff casing had a strange shape just above the drain plug.

A good scrub with soap/water/degreaser revealed what looks like chemical metal/epoxy putty/JB Weld with diff fluid weeping arround the edges.

Not having access to a welder, or a replacement axle, I did what any sensible bodger does. Slapped on a load more chemical metal while it was good and clean, let it go off then shoved in 3/4 of a litre of gear oil.

Lets see how long it lasts without weaping again. I take it if I drain it and grind off the putty, I can get it welded or patched without any horrid side effects from heat?

Reply to
Elder

No problem at all, an easy job. You can also buy a full diff pan to weld in and replace the back if it's really knackered, not worth bothering though if it's the usual small patch.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Excellent cheers.

I think I may need to find another tame welder. My last one managed to burn down his workshop. A smoulding log fell out of the open furnace he used to heat the place, when he had knocked off and gone to the pub across the road.

He lost everything, gas and mig welders, tools, compressors, air tools and spray gear, and 5 customer cars in for either welding, spraying or just repairs.

And the worst thing was, he wasn't insured and took out 2 other local businesses.

He didn't re-open else where as far as I know.

Reply to
Elder

Yeah but can he still weld????

Reply to
Vertuas

Maybe he just had enough then, because I've asked arround, where he enjoyed a pint etc, but nobody has seen him.

Sound bloke, welded better with a couple of beers in him, because it didn't make him as woozy as some of the anti-inflamatories and painkillers he was supposed to take for his bad knees and other arthritic pain.

Reply to
Elder