Jason.Goods

Reply to
Jason.Goods

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, snipped-for-privacy@washdown.net.nl sprayed:

No but Strombergs do.

Reply to
GbH

OK,

I've now taken the distributor apart, cleaned it out, WD40d everywhere, replaced the noname plugleads with a set of Luminition (Ouch!) and replaced the Champion plugs with Bosch Super 4s (Ouch again!).

I also checked the dashpots on the carbs (With Solex written on them by the way) and discovered the top on one was loose, did it up again.

I think I may have done something to the distributor housing when I was doing my impromptu replumbing to work around the heater leak/torrent I had last week.

The car now runs just fine at redline or near enough, but is running like a bag of bolts at low revs.

My gut feeling at this point is that the timing is out and causing all sorts of wierd pre-ignition problems so, off to somebody with a tuning rig next week it is then!

Any comments on the course of action so far (No, replacing the Luminitions with Magnecors is *not* happening - these leads cost me £50 which is a non trivial fraction of the cars value).

The old plugs which came out had the tips looking like they'd been running fine (light greyish brown coating) but the bit where the core disappears into the body was showing signs of heavy sooting.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown