Instrument lights on the Disco 1

Any suggestions on how I might take the dashboard apart to replace the lights on the instrument cluster on a Disco 1. Is there an easy way or
must the whole dashboard come apart to replace them
Thanks
Hugh

You can get the back of the cluster cowling off and go in from the back - incredibly fiddly though!

Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
www.radioparadise.com - Good Music, No Vine
Hugh Hogan wrote:

Hi Hugh,
Just dashed out to the car for my Haynes! All you should have to do is undo the two screws in front of the steering wheel. Then the switches round the steering wheel, and the plastic cover over the speedo should be able to be eased towards you. You then need to remove cables on the back of the switches to get the cowling off. I did this at my auto electrician mates place a few months back. The only thing that will hold the cowling is some clips at the back of it near the windscreen, but a steady firm pull will get it off them. These instructions are for a post '94 (i.e 300Tdi type) vehicle. When refitting the cowling, you need to ensure that said clips engage as you ush the cowling back.
As for the bulbs, the manual says twist the bulbholder anticlcokwise to remove. "most bulbs are integral with their holders, but some are capless pushfit type". Be careful with the ignition/charging bulb - that is a special bulb with a higher rating.
Cheers! Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe