Insurance: Private vs. Commercial

My insurance is up for renewal and that concentrates the mind!

A few years ago I had a problem when my LR was off the road because of an accident. It was insured for private use. The courtesy car provided by the insurers was totally inadequate but they would not agree to change it.

I needed to use the trailer so attempted to hire a suitable vehicle. The companies hiring commercials (Transits actually) said their insurers would not insure someone who was already insured. They would accept commercial insurance but not private. So they could not hire to me.

I then tried the car hire companies (some even hiring 4X4's) but none have a tow hitch. I gather this is normally policy.

In the end, I just bought another LR, in a hurry, which is not the way to buy anything!

Is there a solution to this problem short of taking out insurance for "commercial use"? I am very reluctant to do this because (a) I am retired, and (b) the LR is never used for commercial use anyway. I just need to know I can hire a vehicle which will tow a trailer when I need to!

Any ideas? I did post a similar query when my previous LR was off the road and I don't think anyone suggested an effective solution then. I really cannot see why it is a problem, but the insurance companies obviously can! It would help if I at least knew why! (I suppose I could always buy a second Land Rover...Now there's a thought!).

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Most insurance policies specifically exclude any losses covered by other policies. Which is a bit paradoxical - if you cover something twice than theoretically you aren't covered at all!

I don't understand the stance from your hire place - why not just tell them that you aren't insured? I've frequently hired commercial vehicles and just ticked the 'full insurance' box. Doubt whether they have tow-bars, but I bet some of them do (they hire to the council quite a lot).

BTW, just insured the Navara any driver over 25 under a commercial policy. Total cost of £1300, before I take off my no-claims bonus.

Which is cheaper than my Volvo for me and the missus alone...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs wrote in news:59gn22huuvncshaigos9c7t0sbk52aejvq@

4ax.com:

My agents have quoted £126.18 fully comprehensive. But then I'm 66, it's a '98 300Tdi, and I'm an awfully nice fellow!

Think I'll get that second Land Rover....

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

If your any where near Reading area there is a hire company called Rabbits, and they HAD a disco i think it was with tow hitch, this was some time ago now. Dont know if its till on fleet or they have similar.

Regards

Tony

Reply to
Tony

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:34:34 +0100, Tim Hobbs wrote (in article ):

IANAL but I think I am correct in saying there was a court case a few years ago which stopped this nonsense. The insurance companies were told to go away and sort out between themselves who was going to pay what, but the punter got their money.

I think you may still see this written into insurance contracts, but in practice it's un-inforceable.

But IANAL, so check with someone who is if it really matters to you.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Williams

"Tony" wrote in news:XGWWf.531$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-win.ntli.net:

Thanks for the tip...but that would be a long drive from Inverness!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue