Just bought my first Series - need advice!!

Just bought my first Land Rover - Series 3 truck cab 1979 Diesel SWB.

While driving home on the motorway (no alternative as I needed to cross the river severn), I noticed that it was running very hot. Is this normal, or is there something I should be checking/replacing? The radiator is full and appears to be intact. I was travelling at a constant 50mph when I noticed it, but it cooled down again when I hit a queue of traffic.

Also, where can I buy a pair of rear mud flaps with logo?

Any advice tips etc appreciated.

Cheers,

Frazer

No, that doesnt sound normal, its usually the opposite - steady mid/high temp on the m/way, then it goes v.hot when you come to traffic. Check the water is flowing by taking the rad cap off when cold, running the engine, then seeing if the water is flowing into the top of the radiator. Is it the original fan, fitted to one of the engine pulleys, or a later added electric fan? Either way, you shouldnt really be getting very hot at 50mph,as there will be plenty of air flowing through the rad at that speed. Maybe the temp guage is playing up? Also, when the engine has been running for a while, turn it off, and see if the radiator is a constant temperature all over its surface.If there are some hot and some cold parts, then the radiator will be blocked somewhere.It may be able to clear that by flushing it through.

Get a copy of 'Land Rover Owner International' (monthly mag), and see the ads in there.You'll be spoilt for choice. Alan.

Reply to
A Lee

No snorkel then? :)

I noticed that it was running very hot. Is

Partially blocked rad - go for a drive and carefully feel the rad for cool spots. You may be able to fush it clear, but usually it means a new rad.

Buy some of the various LR mags that are available - lots of suppliers in there.

Reply to
Exit

Thanks for the advice guys, as soon as this rain stops I will get out and try it again.

Already having a great time with the new toy. It amazes me how many of my mates have always wanted one now they see me with one!!

Snorkle and river severn - Hmmmmm, is that a challenge?!?! LOL!

Frazer

Yeah, but it depends whether you are crossing it at Chepstow or Newtown! ;-)

Reply to
Exit

Ok, had the same problem when I bought mine a 1974 SWB 2.25 petrol van. Went through all the flushing of the Rad inside and out but little difference. Does your Fuel gauge register accurately? I bet not.

If I'm right this is what cured mine permanently..... Both the Fuel gauge and the Temp gauge are connected to the electrics via a voltage regulator at the back of the instrument panel. Remove the steering column covers and undo both the screws holding the instrument panel in place. Carefully pull forward the instrument panel, taking care you don't damage the little plastic lugs on the turn indicators, and take a look behind the instruments. You will see two screw studs sticking out with wires clamped down on them by knurled nuts. Loosen these nuts, DO NOT take them off you will drop them somewhere impossible to find them, and carefully clean up the all the connections with some fine emery/grass paper. It's a tight fit for fingers if you have hands like mine.Smear all connections with a VERY little Vaseline ( smear it on your fingers and just rub them over the connection) and retighten the knurled nuts. Refit dash and take for a spin. If you still have incorrect reading instruments then it might be the actual voltage regulator that's gone.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Excellent, thanks Bob. Did yours always read too hot or was it sometimes OK? I've noticed today that it is reading fine.

I think I've got some work to do next week-end!

Frazer

You haven't said if the fuel guage is mis-reading too, showing more fuel than is left. That would be a good indicator that it's the same problem I had.

It's a few years ago now. :-) But I seem to remember it was slight at first but got permanently worse such that it was always showing quite hot, in the red, despite ensuring the cooling system was A1, and I worried about running out of fuel when it showed a third full which it never went below. Of course if it's that intermittent with yours, it might just be the knurled nuts are loose, but I'd still clean it all up anyway before tightening.

It's not a difficult job (if you have small hands) just watch out for those indicator bits catching on the loose dash as you force your hands behind it.

Do ensure all the panel lights etc are in their correct places before refitting.

Reply to
Bob Hobden