Just bought my first toyota... 1999 Tacoma, questions

Hi all, I finally own a toyota truck! And it rocks (although I have only owned it for about... 2 hours)

It is a Tacoma, pre-runner ext cab, less than 50,000 miles on it, no

4x4, and only a 4 cyl... okay, it is weak, but I still like it.

A few questions;

1) any common problems with this truck I need to look out for or be aware of?

2) The gas pedal seems to stick (I have to apply a little more effort than normal to get it to go from a stop). Is this an easy fix? Just some WD-40?

3) When I release the brake, the whole trucks makes a low, muffled "thump" sound... normal?

4) how hot should the engine in a 4cyl tacoma run? This one seems to stay at the half way point, which I thought was a little high, but may be normal.

thanks in advance! Jazz Mann

Reply to
jameson

I have a 98 Pre-runner. Havent noticed the stiff gas pedal, The thump a take off is driveline wrap-up , normal for Tacoma , cant seem to stop it. My trucks temp guage always sit on the halfway mark. Even in 120 degree Arizona heat with the air on. Been this way for 110,000 miles, must be okay. Scott

Reply to
zonie

Thanks scott, makes me feel good. But i KIND of feel like I paid too much.. maybe,

listed at 13,900, i talked them down to 11,500... after all the insane dealer fees and crap it was up at 12,341... funny how they getcha like that.

I still like the truck anyway.

Reply to
jameson

I have a 1999 Tacoma 4x4 std. cab and notice that the gas pedal is stiff or sticky sometimes when accelerating form a stop. Tried some lube on the cable which seemed to help for awhile. Only stiff on initial acceleration from a stop and not always. Makes me look like a hot rodder at times.

"Facts are stupid things." -- Ronald Reagan, 1988, a misquote of John Adams, "Facts are stubborn things."

Reply to
Randle P. McMurphy

My 2000 Tacoma did the same. The mechanic cleaned the throttle body....here's more info on a different engine.

Tommy Taylor

I purchased a 99 Taco, (Odomometer-62K), Extended Cab,SR-5 in March of

2003. Has the I-4 engine (2.4 liter) with a bed liner. I paid Top Dollar. 16K out the door (including 8.25 % sales tax) from a Toyota Stealership.The truck was "Certified" plus bumper to bumper warranties ( $600 Extra ) plus road side assistance. All warranties to expire June of 05. The engine bay looked new. All new rubber,new coils & wires,new plastic tanks,new Master Cylinder,new A/C hook ups, plus new battery (Flat 5 year warranty-non pro rated) plus total detail on engine bay, plus new tires, (Signature brand, maid by Michelin) plus new bushings on front end. They totally went through that truck. Have had no problems what so ever. Also they furnished a "Car Fax".

I live in the LA,Cal. area.Twenty six miles south of LA near the Harbor of San Pedro.

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

I dont think you paid too much for yout truck , after all its a Toyota. I also have 2000 pre-runner v-6 extra cab, 51,000 miles. Perfect cond. Here in Phoenix this trucks are like gold, a guy stopped me at Costco and offerd me $14,000 cash for mine. You will love the truck even though its not the most powerful on the road and not perfect, just way better than most. Scott

Reply to
zonie