Key stuck in lock Series3

Hi guys, before I go to the effort and wire in a start button and hidden switches, any easy way to get the stuck key out of the ignition on an early S III.

It's in and it turns to 1 and 2 but will not return to 0 despite pushing, pulling, twisting and swearing.

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Megalowmania

Is it a diesel? If so, make sure the fuel cutoff is pulled out all the way.

- Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Ni Andrew, no it's a 2.25 petrol. I just think the retainer mechanism (SP ) has gone. You know the bit where you have to push the key in further to turn to position 0. But I can't get the key out or turn to position 0.

I'm looking at having to leave the key in there for the stearing lock and rewire to a starter button. Don't want to unless I have to.

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Megalowmania

Megalowmania wrote in news:bv5gds$nstge$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-206531.news.uni-berlin.de:

WD40 administered via a hypodermic syringe and a fine needle? Works with keys that won't turn -- usually. Leave over night to soak, then give lots of gentle persuasion.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Try taking the lock off the column and administering first aid (WD40) - e-mail me for how to get the shear bolts undone if you want to have a go.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Thanks to everyone. Looks like copious amounts of WD40 are the order of the day.

Cheers

Paul

PS. About 4 inches of snow in North Cambridgeshire. Had to take the other

4x4 due to the key problem.
Reply to
Megalowmania