King/Queen for a day?

I always listen to the Today programme on the radio on my way into work. Recently the programme stirred up a bit of controversy by asking readers to vote for the law they would most like to see enacted, and some muppet Labour MP agreed to put it forward as a private member's motion in Parliament (muppet because he agreed to this before he knew what the listeners would vote for). The listeners, of course, voted for a law, the essence of which was to give householders the right to shoot burglars. The poor hapless dunce is now in the lose/lose situation of either reneging on the deal (and looking like a spineless party drone) or doing as he promised (and alienating all his Labour-Lite chums and superiors). I haven't stopped laughing about this for days.

Which made me think... If you were Minister of Transport for one day, what single law or regulation would you enact (or indeed abolish)? Rules are - it must be:

  1. Achieveable and realistic
  2. Related to transport issues
  3. Preferably, make the rest of us go "Oh, YES!"

One to start you off - I would amend C&U regs so that all vehicles destined for the UK market had to have a proper light switch, so that headlights could be turned on in darkness or poor visibility and switched off again when conditions improved. Volvo would just have to re-tool.

Over to you...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

A device to monitor brainwaves which detects when a driver is not concentrating. Disarms under 10mph.

Lessen the charges/fines for speeding when it's obviously safe (eg: dry clear motorway), increase the charges/fines for speeding when it's a stupid place to speed (eg: past schools, on wet/snowy roads, through nunneries) and dramatically increase the charges for causing death by dangerous/careless driving.

I'm with Tim on the V8 fuel duty idea.

Reply to
PDannyD

Readers? ;-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

snip

  1. All RUPPs and Bridleways to be automatically upgraded to BOAT
  2. All ramblers to be banned from BOATs - to be implemented after 1 above, of course

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

The scrapping of the road tax disc, but including the duty in the cost of fuel, the heavier user pays more to use the roads.Should have done this years ago, it has to be bar far the fairest system.

Insurance details should be displayed in the windscreen, Insurance companies should be obliged to issue a tax disc like certificate which must be displayed to prove valid insurance is held.

Alan Mudd

Reply to
Alan Mudd

On or around Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:20:33 GMT, SteveG enlightened us thusly:

yebbut, he said "achievable and realistic".

how about a tax on ramblers, to be used for maintenance of byways for all?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hear hear to Mr Mudd...!!

Reply to
-Lee-

How about bringing back the rolling 25 year tax exemption?!

Reply to
Andy Warner

On or around Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:44:12 +0000 (UTC), "Alan Mudd" enlightened us thusly:

to quote Norm Fletcher... Naff orft.

it's not at all fair **unless** you also include valid, practical options to private transport, in all areas.

In this area, it's next-to-impossible to live and certainly impossible to work without private transport. Why should we have to pay (even) more in fuel duty?

I'm more in favour of the congestion charge type approach, which penalises those who use a car in areas and for purposes where there *is* an effective alternative.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:40:46 -0000, "Andy Warner" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, now that one I like. costs the treasury sod-all in real terms, too, money-grabbing abtsrasd that they are.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I disagree.

If I lived in the country (and I have done for 14 years in an area 2 miles from the nearest main road / bus stop) then why should people who use the roads very little have to pay through the nose to have country lanes resurfaced / maintained when its the very people who live in the country who use them / need them and wear them.

Now lets say I take my V8 and go for a trundle along said country lanes... then I pay more for it via the increased road duty of fuel.

Public transport has bugger all to do with it. Its the choice of the people that live in the country where they live and it's not like someones suddenly gone and stopped all the buses / taxi's.

I'm quite aware that the generated income isn't all spent on the roads.

The fact there is insufficent public transport in your area is no sound argument for not going down this route. It is a sound argument however for lobying your local MP to get the public transport sorted. Of course those whos income is based on driving would have to ammend there costs accordingly.

Adding road duty to fuel would also save the DVLA lots of faffing around and also ensure nobody escapes it, included the scroaty scumbags that drive around in £50 nails with no insurance tax or MOT then just abandon it to fester at the road side.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

|| Public transport has bugger all to do with it. Its the choice of the || people that live in the country where they live and it's not like || someones suddenly gone and stopped all the buses / taxi's. ||

Sorry, but this is bollocks. Ten years ago, there was a bus that went from our road into town at 10am and back again at 2pm. Every day. Useful - if you didn't work and only wanted to go shopping, then you could get by without a car. Now it runs at exactly the same times - but only on Tuesdays. Tell me exactly how I am to get to work if I don't drive a car? (And don't say move into town, 'cos my work is out of town too.)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

If the bus had been full then presumably the privatised services would have continued running it. If only a few people use it then it is both economically and environmentally inefficient to run a bus service.

That doesn't help the few people that use it, of course...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

At least they can do their shopping on a Tuesday.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Correct. Only about 3 people ever got on the bus that I could see. They were usually pensioners doing the shopping. I guess they must recognise that they are inefficient and a bit of a drain on the rest of us, and take what they are given and be grateful.

;-)

|| That doesn't help the few people that use it, of course...

Indeed.

Like Austin, I choose to live out here and wouldn't move back to the city if you paid me, but it does rankle a bit when we pay the same council tax as the townies but don't get any of the benefits. No street lighting, no doorstep rubbish collection, no police... I wouldn't mind (I choose to live here) except that I pay Band D, exactly the same as someone with a semi in town, who gets all of the above and more.

Reply to
Richard Brookman