Kirton off-road

Been off-roading at Kirton this afternoon...

It's hot: if you're popping down tomorrow, make sure you have water for self, engine, and pets.

The site is frighteningly large. You can end up out of sight, and sound, of everyone else. There are steep slopes, axle-twisters, and lots of water.

The Google Earth coverage is currently datable as late June 2003, and the main features haven't changed. That long "trench" around the south- west corner is flooded towards its northern end, and I decided to turn back.

It looks like the fettling I was doing has sorted my Landie. It scraped through the MoT on hydrocarbons, but fitting a new thermostat has let it warm up properly, I've been able to lean off the mixture, and the effect on fuel consumption has been dramatic. And the leaf-springs are a lot less stiff now.

Weaknesses: on-site signposting is a bit meagre. A couple of places in the wooded area, it would be worth marking routes as one-way, since there's no chance to pass another vehicle, and no way to see the other end of the section.

I hear somebody broke a suspension turret while getting a cup of water.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Cant argue with anything you've said. But its a fookin *wonderful* centre, innit!? I'm not there this weekend but was last month and will be again next month - for my money, its by some margin the best overall site in the country.

Reply to
nullified

Kirton where?

Reply to
madhatchetman

Never mind. I had a look on google. North lincs. I'll check it out sometime.

Reply to
madhatchetman

jeez - tough site!

Reply to
Peter Harrison

nullified uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I was particularly impressed with their attitude to the locals too - signs to warn 4x4 drivers that people have to live there - advice on the best route in and a nice lady who jet washed our 110 as we came out... I was going to do it but was trapped in the car as she beat us too it :-)

She then complained I hadn't got it dirty enough!

:-)

Apparently if you shout up on the CB they come and recover you --- though it would be a bit like trying to talk some one in to a location on the moon - right at the crater,across the flats and we're behind the hill. To be honest though theres usually no shortage of volunteers if you do get stuck but having watch some recovery the use of winch and location of persons had me worried.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D